Problem with Slicing

BTGMarek

Posted · Problem with Slicing

Hello. So i have quite strange problem with slicing with cura 2.6.2 and 2.7.

It messes up every print where there is some detail on the upper layer. Repositiong helps ( then the upper layer is messed up in other player) but its really strange, prints coming really good till the upper layer which looks like spaghetti. As You can see on those jpg. the upper layer is messed up the only way to fix it is changing layer height to 0.01 so its not a good idea considering the fact that everything prints good till upper layers.

As You can see on those 2 jpg repositioning helps to move the spagheti to other places but its not a fix, and repositioning needs other supports..

DNnS5GJ.png

Ae68i2S.png

On this photoDGM_ZIHUwAAHeFf.jpg

You can see that the face look good. There is no spaghettii on face. But on Cura preview the upper part - top layer looks like spaghettii and it should not look like thats as its looks normal on photo i sent in this post. Thats why i am asking what to do with cura settings to have perfect upper layers

|But, maybe I am missing something, but I do not see the spaghetti you mention. That is why I am confused.

Not on prints, on slicer preview. The top layer is not consistent.

DNnS5GJ.png And it prints the same on ultimaker 3 so its ugly as hell

Well, in that orientation, you asking it to create a curved surface from a high level (0.2mm) The vertical one would print better. Also, it would have been helpful to see the print as what I see in Cura is what I would expect to see in Cura based on geometry.

Well, in that orientation,  you asking it to create a curved surface from a high level (0.2mm) The vertical one would print better. Also, it would have been helpful to see the print as what I see in Cura is what I would expect to see in Cura based on geometry.

Thats why i posted this :

DGM_ZIHUwAAHeFf.jpg

As You can see its possible to print this head correctly in this orientation - veritcal will mess other parts so i don't want to change orientation. If 6 different prints worked out in this orientation its possible on FDM printer. So i want to know what to do in settings without changing orientation to aquite effect as shown on this photo.

Because whenever i try to add anything to top surface layer it changes nothing so if Cura can't manage please recomend me slicer which works with UM3 Extended...

They will pretty much do the same thing as it is the filament and level of detail you are choosing.

I can suggest that you try the beta (2.7) as it has an "Ironing" feature implemented from something that neotko created. He also uses a different slicer and would probably be more eloquent about the issues you see.

They will pretty much do the same thing as it is the filament and level of detail you are choosing.

I can suggest that you try the beta (2.7) as it has an "Ironing" feature implemented from something that neotko created. He also uses a different slicer and would probably be more eloquent about the issues you see.

To be honest You dont understand features of 2.7 at all and ironing works on flat surface. So on this surface it will not work.

And thanks for Your interest but sadly You don't have any good answers, considering the fact its possible to print it in good quality i am looking for person knowledgable enough with settings so it will work out.

Thanks for Your time.

Posted (edited) · Problem with Slicing

To be honest You dont understand features of 2.7 at all and ironing works on flat surface. So on this surface it will not work.

And thanks for Your interest but sadly You don't have any good answers, considering the fact its possible to print it in good quality i am looking for person knowledgable enough with settings so it will work out.

Thanks for Your time.

Yeah, I am a dummy. So, sorry to waste your time. And, you are right, I have not beta tested 2.7 and I just made a silly suggestion, so will not bother again.

Edited by Guest

Thanks for Your time.

Yeah, I am a dummy. So, sorry to waste your time. And,  you are right, I have not beta tested 2.7 and I just made a silly suggestion, so will not bother again.

IDK why You are angry. I asked what to do with print so the top layer will look good - You gave me answer - its not possible, i showed You that s its possible then You gave me an option of ironing , for not flat surface...

I am looking for help so if You are not knowledgeable then its not a shame that this time You could not help. I still appreciate that You tried.

Anyway still looking someone who can address my problem

I am not angry. I am a dummy. Why do you think I call myself the clumsy noob? Especially when I tried to help and all I did was get confused as to what you are expecting; as if a little sandpaper and filler is out of the question.

But, I am not angry as that puts too much importance on your comments. I like to be insulted by people that I try to help and I was the only one doing so. But, a little jab back should prod you to think a bit before you make such a comment.

I am not angry. I am a dummy. Why do you think I call myself the clumsy noob? Especially when I tried to help and all I did was get confused as to what you are expecting; as if a little sandpaper and filler is out of the question.

But, I am not angry as that puts too much importance on your comments. I like to be insulted by people that I try to help and I was the only one doing so. But, a little jab back should prod you to think a bit before you make such a comment.

Yes post processing is out of question when You can take it from build plate looking great.

Problem solved. Cura is lacking important option. The print would work out if Cura had the Smooth variable layer height. So to make this model printable without bad top layer is to use other slicer with this option. Sadly no love for UM3 as it has new gcode flavor ;/