Cura 2.6.2 - Why the software tries to open a series of scripts (firebird.BAT, firebird.WSH etc.)?

AHO

Posted · Cura 2.6.2 - Why the software tries to open a series of scripts (firebird.BAT, firebird.WSH etc.)?

Hello everybody,

we check every software before we use it in our company. During that test, we noticed that the Cura 2.6.2 software tries to open a series of scripts (specifically in IBM-, Lenovo- and Microsoft-folders):

cura_2.6.2.png

What is the purpose of this and how can I disable this?

Best regards,

André

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6.2 - Why the software tries to open a series of scripts (firebird.BAT, firebird.WSH etc.)?

687474703a2f2f64756c656b2e6e65742f7265616374696f6e732f73686f636b65642f636c6f6f6e6579312e676966.gif.e9c25c57e0382ee1809c55ad7ec1d8db.gif

It... should not be doing that. At all.

Is this the installer, or the Cura application once installed?

Edited by Guest

Posted · Cura 2.6.2 - Why the software tries to open a series of scripts (firebird.BAT, firebird.WSH etc.)?

Uh. I'm pretty sure that Cura isn't trying to open a bunch of scripts from third party vendors. Only thing I can think of is that the installer is doing something weird, but for the life of me, i can't imagine why it would do this.

// sorry for the late response

It is the installed application.

As setup we used the installer from the website (Cura 2.6.2 x64): https://ultimaker.com/en/products/cura-software

In Cura we deactivated all (optional) plugins, to limited the reasons for the behavior. For testing the software we use (among others) "ProcessActivityView v1.16 x64": http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/process_activity_view.html

cura_process.png

test system

Windows 7 Prof. x64 (completely patched)

affected folders

• C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Lenovo
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Client Access\Emulator
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Lotus\Notes
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Notes
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft SQL Server
    • C:\Program Files (x86)\ShowCase Suite

scripts (+ ext) that are trying to open

• firebird.BAT .CMD .COM .EXE .JS .JSE .MSC .VBE .VBS .WSF .WSH
    • firefox.BAT .CMD .COM .EXE .JS .JSE .MSC .VBE .VBS .WSF .WSH
    • mozilla.BAT .CMD .COM .EXE .JS .JSE .MSC .VBE .VBS .WSF .WSH
    • netscape .CMD .COM .EXE .JS .JSE .MSC .VBE .VBS .WSF .WSH
    • opera .CMD .COM .EXE .JS .JSE .MSC .VBE .VBS .WSF .WSH
    • seamonkey .CMD .COM .EXE .JS .JSE .MSC .VBE .VBS .WSF .WSH

The only thing I can come up with is that it might have something to do with file extensions, but we never tell cura to open any of those scripts. There is no need for us to do so.

By god, it is doing it on my machine too.

Could you try removing the folder UpdateChecker from C:\Program Files\Cura 2.6\plugins? I think it is the python module "webbrowser" that is doing an extremely shitty job at finding the default webbrowser.

Yes, the Python webbrowser module is definitely the culprit:

https://github.com/python/cpython/blob/master/Lib/webbrowser.py#L515

Its behavior is bizarre, and Cura should stop using it. It is behavior that very much resembles malware behavior.

Could you try removing the folder UpdateChecker from C:\Program Files\Cura 2.6\plugins?

Thanks, that works! :)

Its behavior is bizarre, and Cura should stop using it. It is behavior that very much resembles malware behavior.

Agree

Apart from the fact that webbrowser is a standard library of python3, so no-one seems to have an alternative to it.

I could move the importing of the module to when it's actually called, so that should atleast limit the issue somewhat.

Apart from the fact that webbrowser is a standard library of python3, so no-one seems to have an alternative to it.

Sure, QDesktopServices.openUrl(). It is used all over the place in Cura.

I could move the importing of the module to when it's actually called, so that should atleast limit the issue somewhat.

Yes, that would mean that disabling the plugin would prevent this browser storm from happening.

Note that on my system (and I wouldn't think my system is all that special), it tries to access a couple of hundred different files, most of which are filetypes very commonly associated with malware (scripts, which are commonly used to highjack common executables).

Posted (edited) · Cura 2.6.2 - Why the software tries to open a series of scripts (firebird.BAT, firebird.WSH etc.)?

*Mumbles something about stupid python libraries*

I'll go have a look at this. It might actually fix the virus scanners triggering on Cura. Still can't believe that a default python lib does stupid stuff like this.

Anyways. It should be fixed now.

Edited by Guest

Anyways. It should be fixed now.

I can already hear Arjen grumbling that that part of Uranium should not have a dependency on Qt ;-)

Thanks for the fix.