Crazy car 3D model

Posted · Crazy car 3D model

Hey Paul! Yes, I assume there is a lot of work behind it! But check it out, you can make an offer for a lower price or contact the author - I think they would make a discount or even share the model with you if you consider printing it :)

I personally think its quite a sloppy model for 3d printing, every thing is just flopping onto every thing else.... not really perfect for 3d printers.

plus... i am always suspicous of new users posting direct links to... BUY THIS NOW for 30 dollars ???

There are very clever spammers out there and I will keep an eye out on this user.

Ian

Hi Ian! Thanks a lot for your concern :) There are some spammers indeed, but I am not one of them :) We run a 3D model marketplace for 3D artists and designers, majority of their works are used in computer graphics, but we see increasing interest in 3D printing as well. This is one of the reasons we partnered up with Ultimaker for the best 3D printable model competition - you can see the conditions here: http://www.cgtrader.com/challenges-and-competitions/3d-printing-competition-2013.

So as you mention, the model could perhaps use some improvement, but this feedback is extremely valuable for the designers! A lot of them have a great eye for beauty and mad 3D modeling skills, but do not own 3D printers yet and have not had that much experience with 3D printing :) So your experience and feedback would be very interesting for them - and I think they in return would contribute by coming up with designs and models for 3D print :)

In my experience (many years as an engineer and product designer), there is a huge gap between the guys making models for CG and those making data for the real world of any sort of manufacturing like 3D printing. These models look to me like they are a long, long way from the real world. and again in my experience, it is often quicker to remodel most of them in a CAD system than to try and clean up this type of data created with no mind for manufacture.

I certainly wouldn't be paying for it!

While I don't mind people pointing out nice models for prints. It's not odd that we question your motives.

You drop by out of nowhere, saying "look at this nice model to print", we go to the site, see some nice renders. Then we might decide to print, oh wait, price tag... that's not what was "advertised" in the initial post, and people feel cheated.

I think, not 100% sure, you're also trying to increase the amount of view we have on the competition. Which is good. More eyes the better. But just do it honest and open, that's what Ultimaker users expect.

Finally, there is the pricing. $30 is not much for a "game ready" model with textures. However, we 3D printer users do not have a use for textures and for us the model is 1 use, not an assets in a game (unless you are printing a board game ;-) ). Which gives it a total different perceived value.

To gain more "3D printer users" it might be interesting to set a different price for just the STL file (this doesn't include textures and animations)

I was a bit concerned as well but I got in contact with Alexander and he says it's legit. Ultimaker are working with these people for a competition.

As long as there are sites such as thingverse, I will never pay for the right to print a model.

paul

i have to agree with Paul.

If I design something cool and handy, i put it on thingiverse and share it with people.

there are too many rat bastard business people squeezing every penny out of every poor prick on this planet and i dont want to be one of them.

Ian :-)

Hi guys,

A nice discussion here :) Thanks for taking the time!

I think the pricing is still a question that will be resolved in the future. 3D printing is still an emerging area - and it is great to share the models for free to contribute to the growth of the industry and make more designs available. But I believe professional-level designs have value and at some point in the future it will make sense to pay for a high-quality model. Our goal in this is to help talented designers make a living off their creations :)

Am001, that's a fair point. We've seen some computer graphics designers who switch to 3D printing and create printable models, while others stick to digital areas. But we'll see how it develops in the future. A big part of that I think is education on how printable models should be developed, which we are starting to work on as well.

Daid, fully agree about your point regarding the pricing, will try to be a bit more open with the price tags and the like :) Also, your suggestion about pricing STL files differently is interesting, I will pass it to the author - maybe it makes sense to make a new model dedicated to printing and charge differently.

By the way, do you guys typically model the designs yourselves? Are there any things you would like to see modeled but can't find? Just wondering if there are some areas where the designers might be helpful :)

3d printing money... but we havent cracked that nut yet ! ;-) lol

Ian :-)

Fair enough if you are printing something to sell on but the print quality of the Ultimaker is far below what I would expect of a commercial machine so I certainly will never pay for the right to print a model. If it ever gets to the point where I have no choice then I will either draw my own or the machine goes. Why is it that when something good comes along, someone has to ruin it by commercializing it? Sky has done it with TV coverage of football and Formula One ,now someone is trying it on in the 3D community, please leave alone!

Just my 2 pence worth.

Paul