Customized infill

PittsburghMan

Posted · Customized infill

I am working on carbon fiber reinforced filament. I want to make my own customized infill to make the part more stiff.

Default infill patterns of Cura such as "line", "zig-zag", and "concentrated" can't achieve patterns as shown in the figure below. 

Do you have any idea for that?

image.png.2f023e7bf0a2b98b10dc269be06cda97.png

I imagine you will have to model your custom infill into your model, and then print without any infills generated by Cura.  Some folks have been known to build supports into their models instead of relying on the slicer generated ones.  No reason you could not do the same with infill.

21 hours ago, kcel said:

I imagine you will have to model your custom infill into your model, and then print without any infills generated by Cura.  Some folks have been known to build supports into their models instead of relying on the slicer generated ones.  No reason you could not do the same with infill.

Thanks Kcel,

Can you introduce me any software tools to model custom infill?

45 minutes ago, PittsburghMan said:

Can you introduce me any software tools to model custom infill?

Hi,

I don't think there is any magic software to do custom infill, so you can really just use any 3D modelling application and its up to your own skill and ingenuity.

Having said that, if it were me, I would probably use Fusion 360 from Autodesk.   F360 would allow you to effectively draw the lines of your infill and then extrude them into a 3rd dimension.  There is a fair bit of a learning curve, but Fusion 360 is very powerful, and it is also free if your a student, hobbyist or running a small business.   There are plenty of tutorials on YouTube to get you started.

Best of luck!

Posted (edited) · Customized infill

What if it deletes my custom infill? I'm trying to print an airplane and the nose is supposed to hold the motor, but it only prints the 3 thicker posts because they are part of the shell. I'm using the Dremel 3D40 which uses a special slicer that is exactly like Cura, but it only works on Windows. The screenshots are from the browser version on my Chromebook. fuselage_01.STL

Screenshot 2019-04-02 at 1.16.52 PM.png

Screenshot 2019-04-02 at 1.15.17 PM.png

Edited by JCos01