Dremel 3D20 plugin

osupk8

Posted · Dremel 3D20 plugin

Hi,

I have a Dremel 3D20 printer and I'd like to use it with acura.

I found this files plugin from https://github.com/timmehtimmeh/Cura-Dremel-3D20-Plugin

But the installation process is not automatic (I have several install to do !)

I'd like to know how to generate a .curaplugin file so I have just to import to install.

Thanks

Best regards

Christophe

Posted (edited) · Dremel 3D20 plugin

Hi Christophe - I'm the one who created that plugin.  Unfortunately I've tried several times to create a self-contained plugin for cura using Cura's create_plugin.py file (https://github.com/Ultimaker/Uranium/blob/master/create_plugin.py) but something isn't working with the plugin that it creates and Cura version 3.0+.  If you do figure out how to create a plugin for Cura 3.0+ please feel free to raise an issue or make a pull request on https://github.com/timmehtimmeh/Cura-Dremel-3D20-Plugin 

Edit:  I just tried the create_plugin.py file again, and it seems that the plugin creation tool is fixed.  I've gone ahead and created a new release: https://github.com/timmehtimmeh/Cura-Dremel-3D20-Plugin/releases/latest that includes a .umplugin file here:  https://github.com/timmehtimmeh/Cura-Dremel-3D20-Plugin/tree/master/plugins

Please note that for a minimal installation I believe that you can install and use the umplugin file to export .g3drem files without copying all the other files, but I haven't tested that, and don't guarantee that everything will work as expected.  As far as I can tell the Cura plugin architecture wasn't designed to include additional printer definition files, or printer bed models as part of the plguin.  Please do note that if you do this minimal installation you'll have to ensure that he speeds, temperatures, feeds, and other printer settings are all correct for each print that you do. In addition to ensuring correct printer settings you'll have to manually check to make sure that the print fits on the dremel's bed, as the bed size information is contained within the Dremel printer json file that is not included in the .umplugin file.  The umplugin file only contains the zipped up contents of the https://github.com/timmehtimmeh/Cura-Dremel-3D20-Plugin/blob/master/plugins/DremelGCodeWriter directory, and as I mentioned does not contain the files within the resources folder (namely the dremel printer json file, the dremel printer bed stl model, or the dremel pla file)

Cheers

Tim

Edited by timmeh

Posted (edited) · Dremel 3D20 plugin

If you do run into issues with the plugin please feel free to raise them in github https://github.com/timmehtimmeh/Cura-Dremel-3D20-Plugin/issues - I don't regularly monitor forums, so it's a fortunate coincidence that I ran across your question.

I also just created a simple windows batch file and mac script that will allow you to easily install all the plugin items - all you need to do is edit two lines that point to the CURA installation directory and the directory where you downloaded the dremel plugin

Cheers!

Edited by timmeh

@timmeh thanks for putting effort into this!

Some thoughts that cross my mind:

1) We have never tested it at Ultimaker, so can't say anything about if it works or not.

2) There are breaking changes in Cura 3.2 and 3.3 for the plugin API, so this plugin needs to be updated in order to support those versions in the near future.

3) There is now a 'container provider' plugin type available (see local container provider in Uranium for an example) which can be used to insert new containers for the Dremel printer. That would omit the manual copy/paste steps for the printer/material/quality profiles. You could also submit the profiles as part of the main repository (not sure if that's useful as it needs this plugin to work with a Dremel?).

If you have more questions you can always email us at plugins@ultimaker.com.

@ctbeke - 

First and foremost, thanks for Cura - what an awesome piece of software!  Also thanks for the heads up on the upcoming breaking changes, and the info on the container provider.  I'll take a look at the Cura 3.2 beta and see what needs to change in the dremel plugin to make it compatible. 

I wouldn't necessarily expect Ultimaker to test this plugin, as the plugin is specifically designed to export the proprietary Dremel format for the old/deprecated Dremel 3D20, and was more of a personal project that I thought maybe some other people could use.   

Regarding submitting the dremel profiles - I tweaked the settings to be "good enough" for my use but I believe that they'd need more work before submitting them for inclusion as part of Cura's repo.  I'm not confident that all of Cura's features would work with the profiles as-is (i.e. I didn't tweak the printer head size, so things like printing two parts sequentially instead of simultaneously may cause the head to run into the first part)  To make the plugin I had to reverse engineer Dremel's proprietary .g3drem format, but I'll be the first to admit that I don't fully understand every byte within the file's data structure, so I'm not sure that it would be right to submit this plugin for inclusion to Cura's plugin library repository either without first understanding the file format better (plus the code would need a cleanup before I submitted it as I'm not a python programmer, and I truly did hack it together =).

Cheers!

Hi,

I use the  Dremel 3D20 plugin since few months and it works great ;)

Today I upgrade Cura to version 3.31

But When I tried to install the Dremel3D20 plugin the plugins menu change

In version 3.2.1 I got [Browse plugin] and  [Installed plugin] menus

And in [installed plugin} menu I got [Install new plugin]

How can I install the plugin in 3.3.1 version ?

Thanks for your helps

Hi,

I use the  Dremel 3D20 plugin since few months and it works great ?

Today I upgrade Cura to version 3.31

But When I tried to install the Dremel3D20 plugin the plugins menu change

In version 3.2.1 I got [Browse plugin] and  [Installed plugin] menus

And in [installed plugin} menu I got [Install new plugin]

How can I install the plugin in 3.3.1 version ?

Thanks for your helps

Hi,

I just look at the install howto

And I see that now I have just to drag and drop the file on cura

Great

Please note that the Dremel plugin is not available in our Toolbox, so it's not been tested by the Cura team. This means that it can break in a new release as the Dremel developers are fully responsible for keeping the plugin up to date.

I hear about a project of including Dremel 3D20 plugin in your toolbox.

It'll be a great news for me because at the moment I can't install the plugin in the new software version.

Thanks in advance, if I can help or test !

Hi @osupk8

As of July 12, 2018 I'm happy to report that the plugin is now part of the cura toolbox.  

Please note that I don't check this forum very often and the good folks at Ultimaker aren't responsible for the plugin working or not working.  If you encounter issues in the future I'd welcome your feedback by reporting them here: https://github.com/timmehtimmeh/Cura-Dremel-3D20-Plugin/issues 

Hi timmeh

Great news.  Thanks for your work.

I will test it and give you feedback il necesary.