Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
farm_boy243

Material Usage

Hi, 

As we know Cura has the ability of store info such as size of filament (weight and dia) and also the cost, allowing in a dollar value prior to printing and also a weight and length value before printing. does it however have the ability to keep track of how much filament is left on a spool. example below, 

If i load a fresh 1kg spool and do a print that is lets say 245g, at the end of it we now have 755g remaining. does it store this info anywhere so that we have the ability to know what is left allowing for filament management and for ordering in advance for additional filament?

Cheers

Nick

4 hours ago, farm_boy243 said:

If i load a fresh 1kg spool and do a print that is lets say 245g, at the end of it we now have 755g remaining. does it store this info anywhere so that we have the ability to know what is left allowing for filament management and for ordering in advance for additional filament?

Nope. Cura does not store that information anywhere. It's a bit more difficult to build what you suggest as it might seem at first glance. For instance; How do you handle multiple printers? How do you handle multiple users? How do do you handle multiple users on multiple printers? How do you handle multiple materials (on multiple printers, with multiple users?). How do you handle aborted prints? How do you handle failed prints?

Most of these issues can be fixed if you store the information with the spool itself and if you have a way for the machine to write it's usage to the spool directly. But that would also require some kind of flow (reliable) sensor. I don't really think its a good idea to leave all that with Cura, as it's almost impossible to fix there.