UMO+ Burnt heated bed cable

Gencab

Posted (edited) · UMO+ Burnt heated bed cable

I have been playing with firmware as of late on my Ultimaker Maker Original Plus. Yesterday a print failed to thermal runaway. My first thought was it was something I did wrong in the firmware to cause a bad reading. So Today I attempted to go through some general health checks on the printer. Make sure fans work, hotend, and so on. When I attempted to to heat the bed it generated a thermal runaway error yet again. Time to hardware bash and check all the connections. Only took 5 seconds to find the problem. (see Pic).

This printer is roughly 3 years old? On close inspection I noted the damaged wire had already grown a layer of oxide around the exposed portions. So not a new problem. Taking a step back I realized there was little to no strain relief for the heatbed wire. There is what I would call a clamp loosely securing the wire to the aluminum foundation plate but that's about it. Seems the years of motion have taken there toll.  I went to fbrc8 figuring I could get a new wire harness. Not the case as fbrc8 sells OEM replacements not components. So a replacement bed is a last resort considering the expense. (edited, original was not helpful) 

Five minutes of lousy soldering (my solder skills are bad) and a 30min session in tinker cad resolved the issue. Heated bed works and with a new strain relief should not have a repeat of this problem. 

20180727_142912.thumb.jpg.5b1cc34d9f5a0b424f9fb2f9019ca1c5.jpg

Edited by Gencab
- opinion + facts = better post

Posted · UMO+ Burnt heated bed cable

Hi, gencab,

I'm glad you were able to solve the issue by resoldering it and get your printer working again. Sometimes the damage is bad enough that it can't be resoldered; there are places like Digikey that I think sell compatible connectors, but at fbrc8 we choose to go the OEM route so we know that we're getting you good quality parts we can stand behind and feel confident in. Most of the parts we stock at fbrc8 (unless otherwise clearly noted) are OEM Ultimaker parts--it allows us the best way to make sure you're getting good quality parts that we know have been through QA and are totally compatible with your machine.

The new bed design has a lot of benefits and has been in place for a couple of years now. It includes a longer cable with an extra bit for better strain relief under the cable clip, press fit screws, and coated connectors with a push-fit instead of the screw in terminal.

• Like 1