3D Systems interest?

Posted · 3D Systems interest?

I have a horde of 3D Systems Cube 3rd generation printers.  Yep, a closed bfb printer.

But I have to tell you, from the lack of control, the default slicer is not too bad.

They use an absolutely minimal set of commands to do a lot of good things for your print quality.

And so far, it is a faithful slicer!

When 3D Builder connected the Cube 3 to MS Windows, again, 3D Systems provides the slicer engine.

Pretty much identical with a strange ABS advantage.

I've been looking at the decoded Cube3 files.  There really is no magic behind the actual print file.

The BfB command set is absolutely minimal, with some unfortunate customization... again, minimal.

Most the header and footer commands can be managed with the printer settings for pre and post.

Many can be managed after the fact with the post processing scripts.

For instance, for some reason, M228 has an Snnn value attached...

M227 Pnnn Snnn has a spare Gnnn and Fnnn attached and undefined.

M104 is used for both M104 and M109...  In this case, M104 Snnn "P1" is the same as M104 Snnn, but M104 Snnn is the same as M109 - wait for temp okay.

There are a few other calls like M240 X/Y/S (step n on axis?) and M601 which seem to be predefined firmware positions.

Again, a lot of this is managed in the header/footer data only so this should be easy.

At the bare minimum, I know I can make Cura give up the 3D location data to manually hash in Excel or something...

But I'd like to know if there are people here interested in coming up with some kind of profile to make this printer play nicely with Cura.

I have enough background to do a quick start on development.