Jump to content
Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
timgr

Cura 3.5 supports 'inside' when unnecessary

Recommended Posts

I swear I used an older version to print this device and didn't have the problem I'm now facing with 3.5.

 

This is the model (find it here if you want to try this on your own.) Note that there is a hollow tube that runs in the base that connects each side. The knurled portion is supposed to turn freely so you can screw it onto a soap bottle.

1.thumb.jpg.e7cec6848d748a5630bc0114fd039a61.jpg

 

After slicing, with supports turned on (set to 'everywhere'/70degrees), it looks like this.

2.thumb.jpg.c5e17bcb85da039a62dffa52ad2ec4f6.jpg

 

The supports, because of 'everywhere', look correct and are doing what I would expect:

3.thumb.JPG.9be107eec70820a9e3229d58f1a7ef1d.JPG

 

However, if I continue to scan down into the tube below it, you can see that supports are added there, unnecessarily.

4.thumb.JPG.4c1c54ad391325adee64f3f54bee5923.JPG

 

I would swear that the last time I printed this, it did NOT have that in the middle.

 

In fact, I just realized, I use Octoprint, and the gcode file is still stored there from 7 months back (";Generated with Cura_SteamEngine 3.2.1".) Here's what it looks like when printing the tunnel layer:

5.thumb.JPG.0f4298cb2b2c82b898ff900c04375b34.JPG

 

And just to prove that it was still printing the layer of support between the body and the knurled knob:

6.JPG.d2116e34ce0821af8dd1f366d3b82da7.JPG

 

We have a change of behaviour/bug here, and its preventing me from reslicing this object. I don't think it's me, although if it is, I'd love someone to point out where I'm being goofy.

 

I cannot even use the support blocker to fix it. The only place I can put the support blocker to get it to NOT generate the supports in the tunnel is by blocking the supports right under the knurled knob.

 

Grrrrrrr. Ideas? Methods to fix this? Can I install older cura at the same time as newer cura?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks. I didn't know where to go to write up bugs, so the link was helpful. The thing is, someone posted this same bug (different model, issue #4583) about 19 hours ago, so it's not just me. ? 

 

I added my files to the bug report in case they're needed. Hoping to see this fixed sooner rather than later.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Our picks

    • Ultimaker Cura | a new interface
      We're not only trying to always make Ultimaker Cura better with the usual new features and improvements we build, but we're also trying to make it more pleasant to operate. The interface was the focus for the upcoming release, from which we would already like to present you the first glance. 
        • Like
      • 80 replies
    • "Back To The Future" using Generative Design & Investment Casting
      Designing for light-weight parts is becoming more important, and I’m a firm believer in the need to produce lighter weight, less over-engineered parts for the future. This is for sustainability reasons because we need to be using less raw materials and, in things like transportation, it impacts the energy usage of the product during it’s service life.
        • Like
      • 12 replies
×

Important Information

Welcome to the Ultimaker Community of 3D printing experts. Visit the following links to read more about our Terms of Use or our Privacy Policy. Thank you!