Upgraded UM2 with Bondtech QR and 3DM Ollson block

Posted · Upgraded UM2 with Bondtech QR and 3DM Ollson block

Hello all, new here. I tried searching before posting this but didn't find anything. I was hoping someone might have some answers. I decided to upgrade the extruder on my UM2 that I have had for several years as the original extruder would sometimes shred filament. I also upgraded the hotend to the 3DS Ollson block. Anyway, watched several Youtube videos and did the hardware upgrades. I am now trying to upgrade the firmware with no success. I have been running Cura 3.5.1 and also have Octoprint. I downloaded the Marlin firmware and edited some lines of code based on Thomas Sanladerer's youtube video. I edited it using Arduino IDE and saved it. Now I am trying to upload the firmware change to the UM2. If I use Cura, It doesn't see the Martin file, If I look under Octoprint I doesn't see it either? If I connect laptop via USB to UM2 and try to  upload, I get an error message saying Arduino not found. What am I doing wrong? Please help.

Thank you

Al

Why so complicated? You can just use the Tinkergnome firmware, which has all needed features included. Just download, connect the printer with USB and upload/install it via Cura.

• Like 1

Smithy,

Thank you for your reply. I originally tried doing loading Tinkergnome to the printer though Cura via Octoprint and it said it had uploaded, but I still didn't have the option to adjust the stepper motors. Once I connected the printer directly to laptop with USB cable it uploaded and took. I am all set now. I hope.🙂

Don't forget to do a factory reset after the firmware installation. This is needed when you change from the stock firmware to something else to clean/reset/initialize some saved variables.

I don't have it in mind currently, but you can adjust the steps in the motion settings menu and also the direction of the stepper motor if you need to change the direction. But I think the direction was in the next menu, but not sure.

But Tinkergnome works great, have also changed my feeder to a Bondtech one and could easily change the steps and invert the direction.

Thanks for the tips. Ran some prints today and all looked great. I really needed to upgrade the extruded as it had become a problem as of late. Was running a 14 hour print and had it stop extruding ruining my print. That made my mind up for right there.