McMorton

Cube with inner structure: not enough outer walls

Posted (edited) · Cube with inner structure: not enough outer walls

Hello

I creatd a test cube with some inner elements.

If I print it I can see the inner structure at the outside of the cube.

In Cura I noticed that the reason is maybe that he only print one outer wall. The inner wall are seperated to print the inner structure.

I think a picture tells more than my bad explanation: lock at the corner with the inner parts.

test.thumb.png.327c2efdb9d08eed9eb67600d90d3d13.png

Is there a way to change this?

(by the way: I'm new in 3D printing. Therfore sorry if this is a stupid question)

Edited by McMorton
correct typos

Posted · Cube with inner structure: not enough outer walls

Hello @McMorton, welcome to the wacky world of 3d printing!

It's very common when 3d printing that when you add some internal feature to a model, it can have an effect on the outside of the printed part. The effect can either be very subtle like a small variation in the outer wall profile or it can be much more obvious like some under/over-extrusion or other bad quality issue. Sometimes you can reduce or even eliminate such effects but choosing to print the outer wall first or the infill first or change the number of walls, infill pattern etc. There's quite a lot of variables to play with which is why we all spend hours tweaking settings to try and achieve the best results for a given model and material. At the end of the day, no matter how expensive the FDM printer, there are limitations to the achievable quality due to the nature of the technology.