Posted · Arduino powered UM2+ build

I am working on constructing my own UM2+ printer and I have purchased all of the parts either directly from Fabrc8 or from Misumi. I have acquired the source code from github and I have an arduino mega but I'm wondering how it would be possible for me to properly supply power to the printer if it is run by the arduino. Will I still need to buy a mean well power supply and get some sort of four prong adapter for the arduino?

Posted (edited) · Arduino powered UM2+ build

Hi TrevDog,

the board in UM2 is actually identical to the UMO board v1.5.7 in the technical layout, just much nicer on one PCB and more beautiful.

And the UMO board has the same structure than the first UMO setup with Arduino Mega 2560
https://www.3dprima.com/de/ersatz-und-zubehoer-teile-3d-drucker/ersatzteile/ultimaker/ultimaker-original/a-20949
and a motor shield 

Something like this here:
https://www.amazon.de/Controller-Schrittmotor-Treiber-Heatsink-Grafik-Smart-Display-Controller-3D-Drucker/dp/B01NCZ09Q5

In other words: UMO and UM2(+) board ARE some sort of Arduino.

And yes you need a powerful power supply for the motor shield and hotends. Delivering 19-24V and 1-2A per Motor plus heater plus hotends.

Edited by conny_g