Travel lines in print but not print preview?

Mibix

Posted · Travel lines in print but not print preview?

Hi @Mibix, I tried slicing your file with my version of Cura and I don't get those travel lines.

Screenshot_2019-02-01_07-31-06.thumb.png.4feaf7c4e7d1257b8b11edc60fb51aec.png

This could be because of the changes I have made to the combing. Those changes are not yet in Ultimaker's Cura so if you want to try my releases they can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0.

My releases can be installed alongside the Ultimaker releases and will not interfere with them.

BTW, don't use the sharpest corner z-seam alignment for symmetrical objects. It's better to use the user defined z-seam position hint and specify suitable x/y valyes so as to position the seam where you want it. That may help remove some of those travels that cross the gap.

• Thanks 1

Posted (edited) · Travel lines in print but not print preview?
6 hours ago, smartavionics said:

Hi @Mibix, I tried slicing your file with my version of Cura and I don't get those travel lines.

Screenshot_2019-02-01_07-31-06.thumb.png.4feaf7c4e7d1257b8b11edc60fb51aec.png

This could be because of the changes I have made to the combing. Those changes are not yet in Ultimaker's Cura so if you want to try my releases they can be found at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0.

My releases can be installed alongside the Ultimaker releases and will not interfere with them.

BTW, don't use the sharpest corner z-seam alignment for symmetrical objects. It's better to use the user defined z-seam position hint and specify suitable x/y valyes so as to position the seam where you want it. That may help remove some of those travels that cross the gap.

Thanks for the quick help, I will install your version of Cura and give it a shot.  I have never touched the Z seem alignment I am not sure how I calculate the x/y/ values can I just click where I want it or hover over to find the coordinates?

Pretty awesome how yours uses the same profiles and materials 🙂

Edited by Mibix

1 minute ago, Mibix said:

can i just a13u02

Huh?

Anyway, the easiest way to specify the z-seam x and y is to enable Z seam relative setting and then the x/y coords are simply relative to the middle of the part's bounding box (i.e. the middle of the rocket in your example.)

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, smartavionics said:

Huh?

Anyway, the easiest way to specify the z-seam x and y is to enable Z seam relative setting and then the x/y coords are simply relative to the middle of the part's bounding box (i.e. the middle of the rocket in your example.)

Sorry I edited, OK, I will use that 🙂, going to print another one now using your Cura, Thanks!

Posted (edited) · Travel lines in print but not print preview?
    17 hours ago, smartavionics said:

Huh?

Alright so I got home and looked at my print and it looked like your Cura stopped every travel line thank you so much 🙂 What is the magic in your Cura and how can I make sure I'm always up to date using yours 😄 I don't think that Z seam helped, it made the seam look really odd I will show you a picture, the one on the left is with Z seam relative with user specified alignment.

I had a small layer shift that was unrelated, I have been having a small issue with my Y axis belt. 

20190201_170638.jpg

20190201_173344.jpg

Edited by Mibix

8 hours ago, Mibix said:

Alright so I got home and looked at my print and it looked like your Cura stopped every travel line thank you so much 🙂 What is the magic in your Cura and how can I make sure I'm always up to date using yours 😄 I don't think that Z seam helped, it made the seam look really odd I will show you a picture, the one on the left is with Z seam relative with user specified alignment

Hi @Mibix, the magic in my Cura is simply down to the fact that it has various bug fixes and improvements that the standard Cura doesn't have. Perhaps in the future those changes will make it into the Ultimaker releases. That's out of my control. As for keeping up to date, well just check my dropbox folder from time to time. There's been quite a few releases recently as I have been actively working on some improvements.

• Like 1

BTW, some of your photos are not showing in this thread, something is wrong with them?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, smartavionics said:

BTW, some of your photos are not showing in this thread, something is wrong with them?

Sorry I am new to this forum It looks like copying and pasting from google photos doesnt work let me know if you can see them now

Ah, can see the photos now.

Positioning the z-seam with the x/y coords can be tricky, I think for your model you want to specify a point that is quite close to the middle but just outside of the model where it touches the buildplate. If you do that, the z-seam should run vertically upwards at that point (between the fins).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, smartavionics said:

Ah, can see the photos now.

Positioning the z-seam with the x/y coords can be tricky, I think for your model you want to specify a point that is quite close to the middle but just outside of the model where it touches the buildplate. If you do that, the z-seam should run vertically upwards at that point (between the fins).

It is quite amazing that i've been doing this for a couple months now and spent hundreds on upgrades and found that the slicers have been doing most damage since I switched to PETG

Using relative x = 10 , y = 10, I get this...

Screenshot_2019-02-02_08-27-56.thumb.png.e7c3e0ed4c689694ba65ec98686b42d7.png

As for PETG, I print quite a lot of that and get good results. Avoid un-retracted travel moves longer than, say, 10mm, use as low a temperature as you can to reduce the likelyhood of the filament sticking, use no or little fan for max strength. Use 100% fan for skins over support.

1 minute ago, smartavionics said:

use as low a temperature as you can to reduce the likelyhood of the filament sticking

that's sticking to the nozzle.

Just noticed you are using coasting, I never use that because it tends to increase the chance of under-extrusion at the start of the next line.

I don't use wipe either.

4 minutes ago, smartavionics said:

Using relative x = 10 , y = 10, I get this...

Screenshot_2019-02-02_08-27-56.thumb.png.e7c3e0ed4c689694ba65ec98686b42d7.png

As for PETG, I print quite a lot of that and get good results. Avoid un-retracted travel moves longer than, say, 10mm, use as low a temperature as you can to reduce the likelyhood of the filament sticking, use no or little fan for max strength. Use 100% fan for skins over support.

I've spent weeks calibrating and I don't even get strings from normal travels but there are somehow errors from s3d and Cura where it still extrudes while it is traveling sometimes.