Any luck with Facilan Ortho PCL?

daj1u06

Posted · Any luck with Facilan Ortho PCL?

Hi, I am just trying my first attempts with Facilan Ortho PCL on a UM3 extended. The spec sheet recomments 140C,print, 38C bed and 30mm/sec speed. I have created a profile for this and started tweaking settings individually in Cura. The parts I am needing are small and quite delicate. They print OK in PLA.

There is mention in the forum of manually inserting M302 into the gcode file, this doesn't seem necessary as it will build multiple layers on its own but I am having real problems (1) keeping it stuck to the plate (using Dimafix) at low temperatures (2) with it not cooling fast enough (I am using an additional fan blowing down onto the bed from above but still with limited sucess). Really slowing the print speed to 5mm/sec and spacing multiple prints apart seems to help with the cooling but I have also seen print temperature recommendations from 80-170C which is a massive range!

Any recommendations would be welcomed. Thanks.

Hi There!

When printing Facilan Ortho with a 0.40mm nozzle we recommend to use the settings listed below. It is important to allow the printed layers of Facilan Ortho to cool down before add the next layer. In Cura, under Cooling, increase the Minimum Layer Time considerably (60 sec minimum, highly dependent of model size and complexity) and enabled Lift Head. Alternatively printing several models to allow for the layers to cool down enough.

Overhangs and thin, stand-alone walls may improve be supported with water-soluble PVA. This is especially true for small/thin details on a larger print, see picture below.

image002.jpg.3ba079a328e26208ff317ea3de846688.jpg

The piece of code that needs to be in the initial part of the Gcode is M302 S60 which allows for extrusion at temperatures below “normal” printing temperatures, in this case down to 60 °C.

Facilan Ortho (0.4mm nozzle, Larger model)

• Nozzle Temp: 140-130 °C

• Build Plate Temp: (no heating)

• Adhesion: Adhesion sheet (supplied in the Ultimaker advanced printing kit) or similar.

• Cooling: 100-80%

• Print Speed: 30-15 mm/s

• Wall Thickness: 4 lines

• Support Material: Compatible with PVA

Settings for AA0.25, AA0.4 and AA0.8 nozzles is currently in testing and should be available in the Cura Marketplace soon.

Hope that helps.

image002.jpg

On 2/18/2019 at 10:15 AM, daj1u06 said:

Thank you very much, I'll give those settings a go. The parts I am trying are small and delicate, only about 8mm high and they don't print perfectly with PLA.

in vivo cage.PNG

Our pleasure, please let us know the result 🙂