rev.4 extrusion head, part "TOP"

olivierr

Posted · rev.4 extrusion head, part "TOP"

When following the assembly instructions "1.3 Extrusion head" under "Parts needed in this section" is listed "1 wooden part named TOP" (and also "1 wooden part named 8B"). The part named "TOP" does not exist in what I have received but there is a wooden part named "8A". Unfortunately this part does not have the correct holes to mount the black clip (molded plastic in shape of a butterfly).

How should I proceed?

Thank you for your advice!

Thank you for the hint.

I received my pack 10 days ago and it is rev 4. I see now that I have received a wooden part of rev.3

I seem to have the choice to build that particular part according to rev.3 but the white tube holder clip seems to not fity (i guess the equivalent in rev.3 is different, most likely longer). Again I can widen the round hole in part 8A to make it fit - is that the way to go?

Should I claim the correct part from Ultimaker?

What for is the butterfly shaped black clip from rev.4?

Thank you for your advice!

Olivier

Again I can widen the round hole in part 8A to make it fit - is that the way to go?

Ah! I see - there are rev 4 instructions now but you have a rev 3 wooden piece.

Yes, I would widen the hole. I hope you have drill. Or keep looking - you might have both. My rev 3 kit came with some rev2 parts that I just threw away.

The Ultimaker is a kit for hobbyists. In theory you shouldn't buy it unless you feel you have the skills (but maybe not all the tools) to build the whole thing yourself. It's kind of an attitude: Hey all you guys building these 3d printers using our parts list and stuff - why not just get all ( most? ) of the parts from us as we put this kit together for you.

Having said that, if you write a ticket explaining that you have the wrong top, you should be able to get UM to send you a new top for free. But you might have to wait a few weeks. The sooner you get the support ticket started...

HOWEVER, there is a chance you have it but it came in a different package. I was amazed to find some of the very important parts I needed for my UM were in with the ulticontroller pieces. These were pieces that weren't in the original design so they were packaged up separately. So this part ("top") may be in a totally different section of parts than most of your plywood pieces.

Plus when you break up all that plywood into so many pieces it is easy to lose one or two.