Breakaway 'spider' pattern on build plate

piphil

Posted · Breakaway 'spider' pattern on build plate

I've had a couple of builds recently from the same reel of Breakaway where the material has issues with adhesion to the build plate (see attached picture) resulting in a 'spider's web'-like pattern. This is on an S5 build plate coated with Dimafix pen (pre-heated to 85C to cure).

When I swapped to a new reel of Breakaway (same machine, same print head, same adhesive etc) the problem disappears. I don't see this problem with our reels of PVA, or any other material.

My first thought was it might be a duff batch, but I wonder whether I might have over-dried it? We have a PrintDry filament dryer which I use on all of our filaments (apart from PVA, which I've found you definitely can over-dry *snap!*), and I'd dried this Breakaway reel at 45C overnight.

More generally, I've not been that impressed with the Breakaway material with respect to the 'towers' of material created up the side of an object to meet a hole or other structure requiring support further up the build. Around 10-20% of these towers end up being knocked off part way through the build, which makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my support settings?

IMG_20190307_142102.thumb.jpg.f1587c3e1d78cf402a844e9fe73c0429.jpg

Any advice appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
    • Our picks

• UltiMaker Cura 5.7 stable released
        Cura 5.7 is here and it brings a handy new workflow improvement when using Thingiverse and Cura together, as well as additional capabilities for Method series printers, and a powerful way of sharing print settings using new printer-agnostic project files! Read on to find out about all of these improvements and more. 

• 18 replies
      • S-Line Firmware 8.3.0 was released Nov. 20th on the "Latest" firmware branch.
        (Sorry, was out of office when this released)

This update is for...
        All UltiMaker S series  
        New features

Temperature status. During print preparation, the temperatures of the print cores and build plate will be shown on the display. This gives a better indication of the progress and remaining wait time. Save log files in paused state. It is now possible to save the printer's log files to USB if the currently active print job is paused. Previously, the Dump logs to USB option was only enabled if the printer was in idle state. Confirm print removal via Digital Factory. If the printer is connected to the Digital Factory, it is now possible to confirm the removal of a previous print job via the Digital Factory interface. This is useful in situations where the build plate is clear, but the operator forgot to select Confirm removal on the printer’s display. Visit this page for more information about this feature.
        • 0 replies