Breakaway 'spider' pattern on build plate

piphil

Posted · Breakaway 'spider' pattern on build plate

I've had a couple of builds recently from the same reel of Breakaway where the material has issues with adhesion to the build plate (see attached picture) resulting in a 'spider's web'-like pattern. This is on an S5 build plate coated with Dimafix pen (pre-heated to 85C to cure).

When I swapped to a new reel of Breakaway (same machine, same print head, same adhesive etc) the problem disappears. I don't see this problem with our reels of PVA, or any other material.

My first thought was it might be a duff batch, but I wonder whether I might have over-dried it? We have a PrintDry filament dryer which I use on all of our filaments (apart from PVA, which I've found you definitely can over-dry *snap!*), and I'd dried this Breakaway reel at 45C overnight.

More generally, I've not been that impressed with the Breakaway material with respect to the 'towers' of material created up the side of an object to meet a hole or other structure requiring support further up the build. Around 10-20% of these towers end up being knocked off part way through the build, which makes me wonder if there's something wrong with my support settings?

IMG_20190307_142102.thumb.jpg.f1587c3e1d78cf402a844e9fe73c0429.jpg

Any advice appreciated!

• 4 weeks later...