Support structure is breaking up

kempton

Posted · Support structure is breaking up

I have been using the christmas-beta of netfabb for a while now. Its making some pretty good slices, especially in terms of reducing the stringing. (also using the latest marlin FW from Daid).

However, i never seem to be able to get a proper support structure. Everytime I try, the support structure starts loosening up from the blue tape. I have done trials on the different kinds of support; weak fluff support, fluff support and strong fluff support, but it dosn't seem to make a big difference.

After analyzing the prints, i have come to the conclusion that the nozzle is touching the printed PLA when it quickly goes back to the startpoint to make a new layer. Actually, quite often i can hear the crunching sound of hot nozzle PLA fluff support. (which is quite horrifying when 4 hours into print).

Any advice?

I have the same issue... not a big help for you.

It seems that the support structure is not taken into calculation, when the destringing paths are made. There are lots of travels over the support structure to random points all over the place. As soon as there is a little string staying on top of the structure and many travels are made over it, it's a matter of time, when the structure breaks, or gets drawn from the tape.

Really hoping the Netfabb 4.9 will fix this issue with a beautiful "retraction" mode.

The fatal problem here is that if you have 1 single small lump on the fluff support, it just increases in size, eventually dragging with it a whole wall. I did actually manage to make a temporary VERY MANUAL fix, simply using my ninja-skills to place a piece of blue tape over the fluff support, to seal off the hairy structure. The other temporary (i hope) solution is making a physical 0.5mm wall in my 3D program to act as a "core" where the support structure is supposed to be. It works for now. (requiring some work to cut it off the actual printed part).

When will we get the nettfabb 4.9? finding myself checking for its release several times a day, (as well as the mysterious "interesting feature" the ultimaker guys mentioned on the ultimaker blog).

- William

• 4 weeks later...