Solid Issues

tcupp35

Posted · Solid Issues

I've got issues with a duct/shroud that I am trying to print and getting it to be solid.  I've tried changing everything from infill density to bumping the wall thickness way up.  I am wondering if maybe some model manipulation is necessary but have not had any luck yet with that either.   

In addition, the interior area I want to be solid is filling with my support material (PVA).  Which won't work for me as the shroud will be submerged for end use.

Any pointers?

My 3mf for the print is attached, along with a few sequence shots (starting with 1, ending with 5) showing what I am talking about.

1.png

2.png

3.png

4.png

5.png

UMS5_Duct.3mf

Posted · Solid Issues

Setting Support Placement to Touching Buildplate will remove that support from the voids within your model. Here's your model mesh and you can see the tubular cavities that are being filled with support...

Screenshot_2019-06-08_18-29-02.thumb.png.837a0d0e59ae246ec9e1bdbc163fca2a.png

Those cavities won't get filled with infill, you need to remove them to get a completely solid object.

Posted · Solid Issues

Also, to improve the print quality I would change the combing mode to not in skin and set the max comb distance with no retract to something like 10 or 20. Gyroid infill would work well with this design.

Posted · Solid Issues

Thanks burtoogle!  This did the trick.  Going to give gyroid a go for the infill too.

My only issue now, is finding a geometry editor that will allow me to take those tubes out.  I typically model with Sketchup...not good for editing STLs.  Should be easy with another program.