Can't eliminate blobs from high resolution model. Not due to retraction.

Mach_zero

Posted (edited) · Can't eliminate blobs from high resolution model. Not due to retraction.

Just want to say that this is definitely not due to retraction. I know what you're all thinking lol

I downloaded this file from thingiverse for an Ender 3 Pro printer. I noticed poor surface quality and some blobs along the outside of the walls. 

I thought it was the printer, but I noticed the blobs in the gcode as well. When I animate the file, I can see that the nozzle slows down where the blob occurs and overextrudes in just that spot, then continues at normal pace. It usually occurs in the corners or rounded edges, but I have seen it occur on a smooth portion of a wall when there should be no need for extra extrusion.

I noticed that the file is very high resolution, but I don't have the source file. So I used blender to decimate the stl until I reduced the file size to about 3.5MB.

Can you guys look at the file and see if you can reproduce the blobs? You don't even have to print it, just reopen the gcode in Cura rather than use the Preview.  

example of corner blobs.PNG

Original File from thingiverse.STL file after blender decimate.stl latest gcode of decimated file.gcode

Edited by Mach_zero

• 3 weeks later...
    Posted · Can't eliminate blobs from high resolution model. Not due to retraction.

Hello Mach_zero,

Yup, I see the blobs ( Cura 4.2.1 running on OS X 10.13.6 ) but only on one vertical, starting at layer 32 and ending at layer 136.

They appear to be individual deposits, not a continuation of the layer.

Posted · Can't eliminate blobs from high resolution model. Not due to retraction.

Hello Mach_zero,

Not a blob!

Its actually a tracking error, see the attached picture, where the layer is cut back...you might have to edit the code.

IMG_4852.JPG

1 hour ago, UK2TX2CA said:

Not a blob!

Its actually a tracking error, see the attached picture, where the layer is cut back...you might have to edit the code.

Interesting. I have no idea how to edit the code. It was just annoying since I know my machine can print better quality than that. 

I wonder if an update will address this.

Hello Mach_zero,

Can you share the Thingiverse link?