Brulti

Difference in support generation between 4.1.0 and 4.2.1

Posted (edited) · Difference in support generation between 4.1.0 and 4.2.1

Hello,

I'm currently printing a big order for a customer, with lots of small parts, and, when I did the upgrade to 4.2.1, I realized a problem with the support for one small piece. I fiddled with the settings for a while before going back to 4.1; I always keep two versions of Cura on my computer just in case, some of the last releases had very annoying bugs...

I found out that it wasn't anything I did, my settings were right, but 4.2.1 does not generate support the same way 4.1.0 does, see the pictures below:

- Support in 4.1.0:

Cura 4.1.0.png

- Support in 4.2.1

Cura 4.2.1.png

The settings are the same on both pictures: same stl file, UM ABS White, layer at 0.2, standard ABS settings, I only changed 'Support Pattern' to 'Concentric' and 'Support Z Distance' to 0.

One would expect both versions of Cura to generate the same support if the exact same settings are used, but they do not.

The support generated in 4.2.1 is useless because it won't support the bottom of the tiny outward ring, which will mess up the print and give it a bad finish, if not make it fail outright due to the material trailing around.

Anyone knows why there is such a difference between those two versions of Cura?

Edited by Brulti