Flat spots on thin wall cylinder

joecap5

Posted · Flat spots on thin wall cylinder

Hi,

I'm printing a a cylinder that is about an inch in diameter and height. It's wall is 0.020 inches so I have the thin wall option turned on.

After my first print I notices areas around the circular perimeter that were jagged. A closer look at the sliced model in those areas shows that flat spots are being generated.

These flat spots can be seen in the attached image where the nozzle is located and on the opposing side.

Based on some other posts about issues printing circles I tried changing the min wall flow percentage to 30% but that didn't do anything.

Any thoughts for how to correct this? I only have a couple months of printing experience.

Thanks

Screen Shot 2019-09-12 at 9.43.02 PM.png

Posted · Flat spots on thin wall cylinder

Hello @joecap5, I'm afraid that is what you get when you use the thin wall setting in Ultimaker's Cura. There are two ways you can get around this:

1 - turn off the thin wall setting and then reduce the line width until the wall is printed using "non-thin" walls. You should then ensure that the wall overlap compensation is enabled and set the min wall flow to something > 30%. This may require the wall line width to become thinner than optimal and so you would be better off going for option 2 (read on).

2 - download and install one of my Cura releases (Linux and Windows only) that does the thin walls differently and it should handle your example with ease. These releases can be installed alongside the Ultimaker releases. You can find them at https://www.dropbox.com/sh/s43vqzmi4d2bqe2/AAADdYdSu9iwcKa0Knqgurm4a?dl=0 There's a README file in there that explains how my Cura differs from Ultimaker's

Hope this helps.