Dual extrude - different nozzle sizes and layer heights

oliverracing

Posted · Dual extrude - different nozzle sizes and layer heights

Found a few old threads saying it wasn't possible back in 2017 but was wondering if it's now possible to set up a Cura to print 1 or 2 exterior layers with a 0.4-0.5mm nozzle and 0.25 layer height and print the infill and maybe a couple more perimeter layers and the infill with 1mm nozzle and 0.5mm (a multiple of the finer layers) layer height? 

I'm guessing if this is possible we could then progress to using the large nozzle for most of the print and just using the finer nozzle on threads on other parts that need higher tolerances and finer detail? 

I print a lot of large parts where detail isn't important over 95% of the print as they are purely functional parts but finding 1mm nozzle quite hard to get the detail on the 5% that needs it - I've tried printing with a 0.4mm nozzle but found the 20h+ print times too long (4-6 hours with the 1mm nozzle)  

I think this was possible in 2017. Check the "Infill Layer Thickness" setting.

It doesn't exactly do what you want it do do, but it's almost there. This setting allows for the infill to be printed at a different layer height than the rest of the print. So if you're doing the print at 0.1 mm, you can do the infill at 0.2 (but not 0.15, as it needs to be a multiplier of the main layer height).

Alternatively, if you have a dual extruder machine, you can also set it up to print the infill with the larger nozzle and the outer wall with a smaller nozzle. This wont save you a lot of time for smaller prints (as the cooling down / heating up also takes time) but it should make it faster for larger prints.

Ah yes, I probably should have mentioned I've had a play with that setting but I found it knocked ~10-20% off the print time but not the 50%+ I'm after for it to be worth it. I really need it to also print some of the perimeter layers at the larger layer and nozzle size with just the external wall to be the finer nozzle. - Ideally using the larger nozzle for 95% of the print (inc outer perimeter layer) and just switching for the 5% that needs the finer nozzle such as printed hinges and threads.