Per model settings + Horizontal expansion doesn't work

Csakip

Posted · Per model settings + Horizontal expansion doesn't work

Hi,

I'm trying to compensate for thread sizes on a piece that has an inner and an outer thread and they need different horizontal expansions. However only the base setting is applied to the whole part.

On this picture both the top and bottom part has -1mm horizontal expansion even though the top should have +1mm and cover the ghost object outline.

curabug.thumb.jpg.d28c3efce49053e9ee2a3d12caed121c.jpg

Am I doing something wrong or is it a bug?

Not knowing the measurements of your part and Cura setup, are you sure having enough material between your threads that's matching your printer setting and nozzle? For me it looks like you try to print a wall between your threads that do not match with the resolution of your setup and so there is not enough material to print.

Usually it's a good idea to attach the part in question as an .3mf file. The file include your Cura setup and model so that someone who want's to help can take a closer look and give you a much better answer.

10 minutes ago, DivingDuck said:

are you sure having enough material between your threads that's matching your printer setting and nozzle?

Hi,

It's not the part, everything is on the picture above. I'll try to explain better.

The gray outline the arrows are pointing to is the size of the actual part. The sliced one is 1mm smaller due to the -1mm horizontal expansion set. Otherwise the sliced part would cover the gray ghost outline. On the top, inside the cube I set +1mm horizontal expansion to override the base settings, but it does not. On that half the sliced lines should extend beyond the ghost model.

I've chosen the 1mm to make the problem visible, the value I print it with is 0.15 and the part is printable, just too tight on one thread, too loose on the other.

I'm seeing the same issue.  I want to modify the inset on some inner screw threads, but not on the outside of the model.  I placed a 5mm tube around the 4mm threads, used per-model settings to set an inset of -0.4 and nothing changes. 

I then tested by expanding the tube to cover the entire model, and set the insets to -4.  This should basically wipe out my entire model (just a 5.8mm tube with threads).  It has no effect whatsoever.  But if I change horizontal inset on the base model I get the expected results.

Screenshots attached to show each case.  The per model settings result in identical slices.

Main Model negative 4.png

Per Model 0.png

Per Model negative 4.png