Posted · Protecting the Library's Ultimakers

20191012_120148_e.thumb.jpg.061b545aba1afcd63fabd8e41aef11cd.jpg

I made this for the library this week. It seems like somebody was a bit too rough (that's being polite about it) when inserting a SD card into the printer. The card ejector broke and there was glass falling off the LCD screen, and the LCD is now missing some lines.

A replacement front panel is about $45 shipped from AliExpress, so a month worth of downtime, and a whopping $90 from Ultimaker OEM...

Plus... I've already replaced the front panel once this year. The replacement panel from AliExpress had some quirks, the wheel now works backwards in comparison to OEM, and the LED colors are wrong. So I'd rather not deal with that again.

So I designed this fix. It includes a SD card extender so cards can be used again. There's a cavity holding a sheet of polycarbonate to protect the LCD. The button-wheel is now protected by a door that can be lifted up by a finger, and drops back down via gravity (also the door can't be removed).

If you think volunteering at a library sounds boring, you are WRONG. I also taught a police officer stuff today, I can't talk about what... but you bet I had fun talking with him.

(sorry Ultimaker, as long as I'm volunteering there, this library won't be buying a new printer, you've made it too repairable, I don't think there's a single part on this printer that I don't have a plan for, plus I own one myself)

Here's something else I did last year:

20191005_104215_e.thumb.jpg.65bfda54cffb692ac7aceff6d5eee156.jpg