Is 3D printing safe for home use?

edis

Posted · Is 3D printing safe for home use?

For some time now i was investigating if the 3D printing is save for home use. We all know that while printing the hot plastic emits a lot of particles in the air and i wondered if all this smell is dangerous for us or not.

Here's a couple of links i'd like to share:

http://phys.org/news/2013-07-3d-printers-shown-emit-potentially.html#jCp

http://www.uproxx.com/technology/2013/07/3d-printing-in-your-house-is-as-unhealthy-as-smoking/

For me it looks like PLA is quite safe, or at least much safer than ABS, which is known as his fumes are toxic and what i've found out, that it would be wise while standing near ABS printing printer to use face mask and ventilate the room.

What do you think?

That article is just sensationalism, because it admits that the levels emitted from printing are similar to burning a scented candle.

I'm sure there's still a lot to learn about the safety of 3D printing, but that article doesn't contribute much to that quest.

Well I'm not sure that candles are safe either. Also cooking with oil - especially in a hot Wok - will yield similar results.

So we may learn some day that working at mcdonalds near the french fry machine is really bad for your health but at this point I think we can assume it's probably safe. Or the risk of lung cancer is acceptibly low. Same goes for 3D printing. But only time will tell.

All 3 of these activities involve heating a hot oily substance (PLA is basically made from corn oil).

i wouldn't compare candles vs melting plastic, but anyway, it's true that its not either confirmed of denied that it's a hazzard for our health, i guess, time will show :)