Higher power heat cartridge shuts down Ultimaker 2

Posted (edited) · Higher power heat cartridge shuts down Ultimaker 2

Hi forum,

I have an E3D v6 on an Ultimaker 2. The electronics on it are the Ultimainboard 2.1.1 and the power supply's output is 24V 9.2A 221W Max.

After having heat fluctuation issues I attempted to fix them with PID Autotuning but the problems remained. I did some searching here in the forum and read on one of the topics that a higher power heat cartridge could solve the problem. So I changed the ~20 Ohm heat cartridge that was running on 24V.

I placed a 4.2 Ohm heat cartridge and in the firmware I changed the PID_MAX setting to 64. I reflashed the firmware and everything seemed to be working. With a multimeter I measured the voltage across to the new heat cartridge and it always stays below 7V when I heat up the nozzle in maintenance mode.

Everything works in maintenance mode. I am able to heat up the nozzle up to the desired temperature. However if I try to print a file from the SD card the printer begins to heat up then shuts down.

I also tried running PID Autotune with Printrun after installing the 4.2 Ohm resistor and got a PID Autotune failure message back saying the temperature got too high. I set the autotune gcode to 180C and monitored the temperature on the Ultimaker's LCD screen. The temperature shot up to 190C during the autotune attempt.

Also the Ultimainboard seems to shut off right after the bed has reached it's temperature and the nozzle heat up is triggered to start. The red LED indicating that the nozzle circuit is on flashes on right before the board shuts off.

Has anyone had this problem? How can I know if I'm drawing too much current and triggering some sort of protection designed into the electronics? Do I need a power supply with a higher rating?

Thanks for the help.

Edited by leonardo-aguiar

Posted (edited) · Higher power heat cartridge shuts down Ultimaker 2

Bought a 24V 20A power supply. Will be adapting it to connect to the Ultimainboard. I read in another topic that that amount of power is higher than what the Ultimainboard is designed to handle.

What should I watch out for and do so that I don't damage the board?

Edited by leonardo-aguiar