Custom starting printing ???

Posted · Custom starting printing ???

Hello,

I have an ANET A8 with a heating plate.

I have a problem with the start of printing.

The plastic does not start to come out until 2 or 3 cm after the start of printing.

For the moment I get around the problem by printing a raft  but it is very long.

I have been doing this from the start but right now I am printing visor supports for hospitals and I would like to optimize the printing time.

The border is faster but tedious to remove on small shapes.

With the skirt I have the same problem, it lacks few centimeters at the start of the skirt (not serious) then it starts again on the piece.

I would like to start printing with a line from a corner for example and then continue in a straight line to the part without there being any interruption in the extrusion between the starting line and the part.

Do you know if it is possible to do that with cura or an add on?

Thank you in advance

Posted (edited) · Custom starting printing ???

You *could* customize your printer profile start code to prime the nozzle, but getting it to make a continuous line all the way from the corner to the start of your part might not exactly work out that easily from manually entered Start G-code, and would need to be manually recalculated for the next print job, or even if you change the position slightly of the first part, or the print order changes.

You may just need to calibrate the retraction settings for the A8. You might have luck just turning off retractions entirely, although this might result in stringing issues. OR.... You might just need to set some "retraction extra prime" amount. I'd try setting the retraction prime amount first, probably a number between 1.4 and 4.0

Edited by BenMarolt