Missing Printer and Profile Data

mlitzkow

Posted · Missing Printer and Profile Data

When I finished working with Cura yesterday I left it running on my computer (Windows 10).  Upon returning to my work this morning I found that cura had exited during the night, which didn't seem like a big deal.  However, on startup, I got a nasty surprise. Cura said my machine profile was corrupted and offered to delete all of my profile information.  There wasn't a "no - don't do that" button, so I clicked the "X" to close the dialog.  After that, all of my profiles from my Ender-4 were missing and I was back to the stock Ender-4 machine settings.  I've done a lot of customization of my machine and profiles in the year and a half that I have been 3D printing, so that looked like quite a big disaster for me.  I eventually found that folder "C:\Users\mlitzkow\AppData\Roaming\cura\4.5\machine_instances" contained an empty file named "Ender+4.global.cfg", and a file named "tmplu4h99cr" that held the missing data.  A simple rename got Cura working with my Ender-4 and the dozens of custom profiles I had painstakingly developed for it.  Everything is back to normal with no harm done except a couple of hours of searching through backup files, forum postings, etc.  I am happy to say my story had a good ending.  I am posting my experience here in case it might be useful to someone else who runs into a similar problem.

• 1 year later...