Support on curved overhang

TedM

Posted · Support on curved overhang

I'm finding that a different support angle is required to avoid supports depending on if the overhang is straight or curved.

As an example, I have a 45 degree overhang which I have sweep along a straight line and along an arc in FreeCAD, as seen here:

775237594_supportimage1.jpg.6a377f6014818e2d58a8fb8ab5a53c09.jpg

If I slice it with support overhang angle set to 46, I get this:

1233269956_supportimage2.jpg.de8faca7b6957359f81a7447ff53f8c1.jpg

The straight sweep does not get a support while the arc sweep does. The cross section is the same on both. I have to raise support overhang angle to 48 to avoid the support. This seems wrong to me. Is there a setting I'm missing? Am I wrong or is this a bug?

BTW, I'm running Cura 4.6.1 on Windows 10.

Attached are the STL file and the FreeCAD project (zipped) to reproduce it.

Thanks

support test.stl support test FCStd.zip

• Like 1