Heating Cycle

Stub_Mandrel

Posted · Heating Cycle

My apologies if this is covered elsewhere, but all the search terms I can think of are so generic I can't find anything that covers this.

I'm now on the latest but one version of Cura 4.6.0 and use a generic Prusa i3.

One thing I find very frustrating, is that Cura heats the bed, and only then heats the extruder, rather than doing this simultaneously. Manually preheating is a chore I would prefer to avoid.

This can be  a huge timewaster on small parts, add in several minutes to the warm up time (I have both and under-insulated bed and use a silicon sleeve on my extruder block - before adding these it was even worse!)

When printing a series of small parts or fine tuning z-height after a nozzle change the extruder inevitably cools significantly even if I am quick so the bed only needs to warm a few degrees.

I have searched in vain for somewhere to change the startup sequence, but it seems to be hard-wired into the i3 profile in Cura.

Am I mistaken? Is it possible to change this and, even so, is it worth changing the default to simultaneous warm up of extruder and bed?