Blocked PVA in Material Station

RDC

Posted · Blocked PVA in Material Station

When feeding the PVA through the material station I heard a snapping noise.

Apparently the material broke.

The material which had been fed through the decoupler was easy to remove.

The leftover material in the station cannot be removed.

I have fed a long piece of nylon material from the front of the MS to try and feed the broken piece through.

It is blocked and cannot be pushed through.

Any thoughts how to resolve this issue?

PVA filament gets brittle when it is too dry or when it is pulled straight and held like that for a while.
    Broken off pieces of filament are slightly curved and can get jammed easily.

Have you tried pushing the broken piece out from both sides?
    Push it by hand while the material station is switched off.
    You may need to disconnect the end of the bowden tube that connects to the underside of the decoupler.

Kind regards,

Dennis

I was able to clear jams using two lengths of PLA, which won't break in the process. As A3000T noted, the power must be off, so unplug the cord. It took two people. One pushing in from front, and one pushing from rear. When you meet at the blockage, push and pull until you break it free and can push it out the rear. Always have done this with the tube in the rear disconnected from the bottom of the decoupler. Be sure to unreel and dispose of any PVA that is brittle before installing again. It should be able to be straightened without snapping, or it will break in the material station. Good luck

The piece that blocked the system was caught up at the last intersection of the manifold in the bottom of the material station.

I had to take off the baseplate on the bottom, and loosen the tube there. with a pair of fine pliers I was able to get ahold of the piece. It was curved and very short. 2 hours of work and some smart thinking!

Thanks for all input!

At the end of the day, my advice is to only use the large reel of PVA if your machine runs day and night.

If not, purchase the smaller reel.

I now have half a reel left over which is too brittle!