Cura 4.6.1 - Profile settings aren't being saved. Lost on restart.

amartenj

Posted (edited) · Cura 4.6.1 - Profile settings aren't being saved. Lost on restart.

When I make a change to my custom profile I expect it to be saved. But if I close Cura and reopen, though the same profile is selected, many of the settings are reset to the default values. If I make a change to the profile, then switch the profile to a different one and then change it back to my custom profile, the settings are populated as I would expect them to be. It's specifically when opening Cura that this happens. This is on PC, not sure if Macs are affected as well.

I noticed that if I look in the Profile Manager, the settings that I have changed aren't actually present there. That could mean the changes are not actually being saved to the profile, but are kept in memory, which would explain why I can switch between profiles with no problem, but restarting Cura loses the changes.

P30dtWI.png

KT0uy4Z.png

I've attached the export of my custom profile.

Edited by amartenj

Posted · Cura 4.6.1 - Profile settings aren't being saved. Lost on restart.

Small update.

I tried this one a Mac and the exact same thing is happening. The profile that I saved in Cura 3.3.1 can be loaded into 4.6.1 just fine, and the settings appear as expected, but any changes made to those settings are not saved when updating the profile. In fact, nothing appears in the profile under the profile Extruder tab.

Settings as seen from Cura 3.3.1

C8aK7tw.png

In Cura 4.6.1

Q6ZnLRI.png

• 1 month later...

Is there a downloadable file i can import to give me back the Cura 4.6.1 Default profiles? mine are all missing.  

3 hours ago, Havic said:

Is there a downloadable file i can import to give me back the Cura 4.6.1 Default profiles? mine are all missing.  

No, but a reinstallation of Cura should do the trick.

I got the release notes screen no matter what I did on 5.3...every time for months! It was the same but worse on 5.4.0 at first, where I'd also get the first time setup wizard to add a printer...Even though my printer profiles were there after adding a new generic printer, I had to add another new printer every time and they kept adding up unless I deleted them...

Solution which worked for me: Only the first few starts had the problem in 5.4.0. Then I fiddled with some settings (added a material profile, made a backup) and eventually triggered Cura to save somehow. Now when I start the program, everything is behaving: I neither get the new version screen nor the first-time setup wizard, and all of my printers and material profiles are there (in my case they never left). I deleted the new duplicate printers with no problems. After all that, I made a backup of the settings again using the settings backup extension.

Checking file permissions may help. I did the following (but it didn't seem to be necessary nor fix it for me):

chown -r $USER ~/.config/cura
    chown -r $USER ~/.local/share/cura

I don't recommend the Flatpak version because flatpak programs save settings somewhere deep in ~/.local/share/flatpak/app/. Settings for AppImage programs will save in standard locations such as used in the commands above. If you want a one-like command to install an AppImage & application menu icon, you can use my nopackage program on GitHub (If you have trouble with that, ask on the Issues page there).

On 7/29/2020 at 11:44 AM, Havic said:

In some cases your materials may not show up because you have a different diameter set on your printer settings. That happened to me. I don't know how it got set wrong, but when I set the filament diameter back to 1.75 mm in the active printer profile, all of the materials (builtin generic ones and my custom ones) reappeared.