4.6 crashing when importing files

redneckprinter

Posted · 4.6 crashing when importing files

So I just bought an Artillery Sidewinder for my first 3d printer and there were so many people talking about cura I decided to try it for my slicer. However, every time I try to import a printer profile or any file such as a print I want to slice, the program crashes. I'm running a Dell inspirion 15 with windows 8 and an intel I7 processor (yes I know a little out of date). Any help or advice on how to get this issue corrected would be much appreciated.

• 3 weeks later...

There's probably something incompatible in the settings stack. IIRC the Artillery Sidewinder X1 profile is a manually added profile that was developed for 4.2 I think, so doesn't really adhere to the settings requirements of the latest version (4.6.1. at the time of writing). New stuff has been added to the settings stack, such as Intent based profiles, which is probably breaking this, hence the crash.

If you look here, you can see the settings requirements for machine definitions

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Adding-new-machine-profiles-to-Cura

I've said this elsewhere on the forum before: I'd really recommend someone in the community patch this profile up and submit it to us as a pull request, then we can pull it into the source code and ship it with each release as a third-party printer. Not only is it easier to get going (select a printer from the menu instead of dragging and dropping several files into folders), but there's a better chance of compatibility with future versions as our update scripts can handle settings changes.

Posted (edited) · 4.6 crashing when importing files

I have updated to the latest version of cura (4.7.1 at the time of writing) and am still running into the same issue. I even tried uploading stl files under a different printer (CR10 from the drop down menu selection). Everything about the software works fine until I try and upload any kind of file, about .5 seconds after the program opens file explorer the message cure.exe has stopped working and the program closes.

Also, I am a novice at best so I don't really follow what you were saying in your response maht. The "settings stack" to which you are referring should be isolated to the one printer profile and therefore I shouldn't experience the same problem when using any of the drop down printer profiles in the setup menu, should I?

cura.log

Edited by redneckprinter

I think this log is what you asked for, hope it helps, and thanks for any advice you can offer.