Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
redneckprinter

4.6 crashing when importing files

Posted · 4.6 crashing when importing files

So I just bought an Artillery Sidewinder for my first 3d printer and there were so many people talking about cura I decided to try it for my slicer. However, every time I try to import a printer profile or any file such as a print I want to slice, the program crashes. I'm running a Dell inspirion 15 with windows 8 and an intel I7 processor (yes I know a little out of date). Any help or advice on how to get this issue corrected would be much appreciated.

I have the same issue , Dell Inspiron with Win 10......

I updated to windows 10 and am still having the same issue, and have since found two other people with the same problem but so far no one with a solution.

There's probably something incompatible in the settings stack. IIRC the Artillery Sidewinder X1 profile is a manually added profile that was developed for 4.2 I think, so doesn't really adhere to the settings requirements of the latest version (4.6.1. at the time of writing). New stuff has been added to the settings stack, such as Intent based profiles, which is probably breaking this, hence the crash.

If you look here, you can see the settings requirements for machine definitions

https://github.com/Ultimaker/Cura/wiki/Adding-new-machine-profiles-to-Cura

I've said this elsewhere on the forum before: I'd really recommend someone in the community patch this profile up and submit it to us as a pull request, then we can pull it into the source code and ship it with each release as a third-party printer. Not only is it easier to get going (select a printer from the menu instead of dragging and dropping several files into folders), but there's a better chance of compatibility with future versions as our update scripts can handle settings changes.