Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
nitro2k01

Only allow support in designated area? (Inverse of support blocker)

Posted · Only allow support in designated area? (Inverse of support blocker)

Support blocker is a useful feature. But is there any way of achieving the opposite of what support blocker does? Ie, forbid supports from being created, except in designated areas?

Posted (edited) · Only allow support in designated area? (Inverse of support blocker)

Yes it's call "custom support". Available in the Marketplace.

Edited by Cuq

55 minutes ago, Cuq said:

Yes it's call "customer support". Available in the Marketplace.

You mean "custom supports". I was confused at first and thought you suggested to call Cura's support hotline and ask about it...

Thank you for the suggestion. However, it doesn't quite do what I want. That plugin creates support everywhere inside the selected area, even where there's no object to support, which is very wasteful for my use case. I want to create support only for geometry that is inside the selected area.

I figured out a strategy for what I want to do using support blocker, though. Background: I'm printing the Voronoi Skull from Thingiverse. I wanted to try building support only for the narrow angles closest to the buildplate so the printer doesn't have to print in thin air there, while not having to build towers to the inside of the top part of the skull. However, I somehow didn't consider that I can simply put a big block of support blocker above that area, plus one in the front where I also don't want support. So my solution finally looks like this:

supportblocked.thumb.png.60c2a1ccafa814f209e9a1f86e515349.png

supportblocked2.thumb.png.14eb223b53a59442f3e913eb0157379a.png

Posted (edited) · Only allow support in designated area? (Inverse of support blocker)

Yes I'm sorry it was indeed the "Custom Support" function.

In your case the solution could be to use the "Modify Settings" function . You can specify "No support" for the whole part and in the lower area set the parameter "Generate support" to ON and define your "Support Overhang Angle" as you wish  ?

layer.jpg

Edited by Cuq
  • Thanks 1

Thanks, that's more like it. Not only does this exactly solve the problem, but this is now my new favorite setting in Cura. The ability to change settings for regions like that will surely come in handy in many situations.