Font for 3D-printing now in TTF- and EOT-formats

Posted (edited) · Font for 3D-printing now in TTF- and EOT-formats

Long ago I made a font for my 3D-texts. But this was in DesignSpark Mechanical's RSDOC-format only, as I didn't know how to make a real font-file.

Recently a guy by the name Jason Chall has turned part of this character set into *real font-files*. Thanks!

See here on Github or Thingiverse:

- https://github.com/pbz/geert-font

- https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4160261/files

My originals in DesignSpark Mechanical format "RSDOC" are still here (sroll down a bit):

- https://www.uantwerpen.be/nl/personeel/geert-keteleer/manuals/

I have looked at his version of the font in Windows' font viewer, and the characters seem very close to the original. But I haven't tried it in a 3D-editor yet, so I can't comment on stability, character spacing, or bugfree-ness.

Feel free to use this font. It can be helpfull if you use another 3D-editor than DesignSpark Mechanical. You may also modify it, as long as you keep it free when reposting it (Creative Commens - Attribution - Share-Alike License; CC BY-SA).

Originally I designed it on a 0.25mm grid, fontsize 3.5mm caps height, and 0.5mm wide legs, thus well suited for a standard 0.4mm nozzle. Don't go too much smaller than 3.5mm, because then the slicer might drop legs that become thinner than 0.4mm. Unless you use a smaller nozzle.

This pic shows the original set (not all characters and images are converted into the font-file):

character_set_demo2.thumb.jpg.ef55b45331945b2d5b3d5312b2a6ffb0.jpg

Printed as watermark text (=hollow) in transparent PET:

image.jpeg.7079f03488b9f2eb0e10f6619e90494d.jpeg

Screendump showing the real font TTF-font file in Windows font viewer:

font_geert_3d_printing.thumb.jpg.832035fefb78b0930f2328ddb94c79c0.jpg

PS: in older versions of DesignSpark Mechanical there is no real text function. But you can insert text by abusing the Dimensioning tool. Place dimensioning arrows and text on a model, and then edit that text: delete the measurement numbers (e.g.: "<-- 5.23 mm -->") and replace them by your own text (e.g.: "Copyright Geert"). This text is now still floating text in a black font. It is not yet 3D. Now select that text, move it to the desired place, and *project it down onto a model surface*, using the "Projection" tool. This projecting creates editable outlines onto that model. Now you can select and raise or lower these outlines into real 3D text. This method was originally developed by a user named "Jacant" on the DesignSpark Mechanical forum.

Edited by geert_2
Added clarification and use
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1