Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts
r_moeller

Manually extrude through LCD menu

Posted · Manually extrude through LCD menu

Hello

I am working with an Ultimaker S3 and I wonder whether there is a way to force the extrusion of some material via the LCD menus, same as with the load material procedure?

I am working with different print core diameters (0.4 and 0.25) and the procedure for switching print cores will pull back the filament just an inch or so and after changing the core the filament is only moved forward to reach the core without any extrusion. If I have used a different material with the newly inserted core there is enough material remaining in the core to print a few layers with the old material if the print job is only printing a skirt. That's why I think it's necessary to first extruder some material and stop the extrusion by confirmation.

Unfortunately I have tried to get this extrusion by selecting the "Load Material" procedure with the already loaded filament, expecting that the feeder would not try to transport the filament for the length of the bowden tube. The effect was that the material was ground in the feeder and kind of jammed in the print core in way that it could not be pulled out without heating the core (by the cleaning procedure) 

Hi,

there must be a "move filament" function, but don't ask me where it is placed at the S3.

On UM3, it is placed in the material/print core menu, nearby the load and unload command.

The quick and dirty solution to transport the partly retracted material back to the print core is also: open feeder-lever, push filament manually until it stops, close feeder-lever.

Regards

Hellol Enigma_M4

Thanks for the reply, I've found it.

On 7/1/2020 at 8:19 PM, Enigma_M4 said:

there must be a "move filament" function, but don't ask me where it is placed at the S3.

On UM3, it is placed in the material/print core menu, nearby the load and unload command.

That is the place.

If anybody else missed it:

In the Material/Print Core menu select the material

IMG_20200702_221338.thumb.jpg.f14538408f9ed367a7486527a8fbe472.jpg

In the Material menu select the context menu by the dots in the upper right corner

IMG_20200702_221355.thumb.jpg.a3665649d98026c92add08e07f9059b7.jpg

In the  context menu use the "Move" button

IMG_20200702_221408.thumb.jpg.3cf02383882b7c442500262c8f2ac2af.jpg

to open the Move Material menu

IMG_20200702_221419.thumb.jpg.7882b1b73817b19a8c56866fa2ca2088.jpg

• Like 1