Original Filament (TPU/PLA/ABS) skin compatibility/Skin Contact

Lefherz

Posted · Original Filament (TPU/PLA/ABS) skin compatibility/Skin Contact

Hello,

I would like to print some things in PLA, TPU, CPE and ABS that can come in longer contact with the skin. Are there problems to be expected here? I unfortunately find nothing in the data sheets.
I only use the original Ultimaker filaments for this.

Hallo,

ich möchte einige Dinge in PLA, TPU, CPE und ABS drucken, die in längeren Kontakt mit der Haut kommen können. Sind hier Probleme zu erwarten? Ich den Datenblättern finde ich dazu leider nichts.
Ich nutze hierfür nur die Original Ultimaker Filamente.

Thanks/Danke

Norman

Not an official answer, but based on common sense, I think the problems are not going to be the plastics. Kids wear plastic rings and armbands all the time, and most clothing is from plastic these days. But it will rather be the tiny openings in which bacteria and dirt can get a grip. So you would want to make your prints as smooth as possible, with as little tiny openings and layer lines as possible.

PLA is bio-degradable, so theoretically bacteria could eat it. But I have printed PLA sifts for the sink in my laboratory, and after years of use in the wet and dirt, they don't seem to be affected too much.

So, unless a person is very sensitive and has contact allergies, I wouldn't expect problems from the plastic. But maybe from dirt/bacteria in the layer-lines.

@geert_2

Thanks for your answer. Sorry, I did not get a Mail.

I am not afraid of the bacteria. I am afraid of very harmful materials like BPA (softeners/plasticizers?) that are causing cancer...

The armrings from my kids are made of harmless silicone. I am not sure about TPU and the Datasheets do not say a word about this.