e3d v6 upgrade Firmware problems

Posted (edited) · e3d v6 upgrade Firmware problems

I have upgraded my ultimaker2E with an e3d 6v hotend as well as a titan extruder to make the system a direct drive. Everything appears to be wired correctly, but there seem to be issues with the firmware in regards to the temperature sensor. I have measured the resistance of the thermistor as well as the heat cartridge, and both have values well within their tech specs, so the issue is not likely to be a hardware issue. 

The problem I am coming across is that whenever I try to do any heat up process, whether it be printing or changing material, the printer appears to take over 5 minutes to heat up according to the progress bar on the display. After about 5 or 6 minutes, maybe a bit more, i get an E03 error, which is a heater error. I have modified the firmware using the following two lines from the e3d tutorial https://wiki.e3d-online.com/E3D-v6_on_Ultimaker_2#Firmware_Changes 

#define MAX_HEATING_TEMPERATURE_INCREASE 0.1 //[E3D] original value 10
#define MAX_HEATING_CHECK_MILLIS (90000) //[E3D] original value(30 * 1000)

unfortunately, this has not apparently helped, and I am not sure where to go from here. 

Edited by Plushberry

Posted · e3d v6 upgrade Firmware problems

I think you can't plug a thermistor into the normal temperature input of UM2 mainboard, because it's designed for PT100 elements. That's why the upgrade kit from your link came with a PT100 sensor.

How have you connected the thermistor from the E3D hotend? And does the firmware reports reasonable temperature values?

Posted (edited) · e3d v6 upgrade Firmware problems

i also used this page to change the temp sensor definitions, though I have noticed that there are three temp sensors defined. (and i am not sure what the third one is there for, i only have one hotend, not two) https://wiki.e3d-online.com/E3D-v6_Assembly

I think this is likely where the issue is stemming from, unless there are other methods to determine the source of the issue. 

Screen Shot 2020-09-04 at 6.52.17 AM.png

Edited by Plushberry