Bypassing the Material Station when printing with the S5

OliTills

Posted · Bypassing the Material Station when printing with the S5

Hi, just wondering what the best solution is when needing to bypass the Material Station - due to either oversize ( > 750g) or non supported filament? Do I have to unplug the Material Station from the S5, or is there a more convenient solution?

Thanks in advance.

Oli

Posted (edited) · Bypassing the Material Station when printing with the S5

The community will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe you'd have to unplug and remove/unstack the material station and S5. Then you have to replace the NFC spool holders on the back of the S5 and load the roll in question. Giant PITA. 

For non-supported filaments you can use Generic Profiles and tweak them as long as the prime sequence works for the material. 

I really wish everyone making 2.85 filament would get around to loading profiles for the material station ASAP so we could really flex it's potential. 

Edited by Deeps

Posted · Bypassing the Material Station when printing with the S5

Thanks Deeps. I ended up disconnecting the non-power cables coming from the Material Station. I then ran the filament from a stand alone spool holder for convenience, rather than attempt to reinstall the spool holders on the back of the S5. I received warnings about the NFC spool not being connected (normally I guess this is overridden by the Material Station connection), but the print ran OK. I agree that this is annoying. However, once you've reached the back of the printer to access the feeder anyway, unplugging the Material Station is not really too much of a pain. It would certainly be nicer though if there was what appeared to be a 'supported' solution to doing this in the printer UI, rather than needing to unplug stuff.