Pause at Height Fix

funx

Posted · Pause at Height Fix

I recently installed a silent motherboard for my Ender 3 Pro only to realize that it no longer stayed paused with the standard M0 command. Does anyone know what might be the cause for this?

After some tinkering, I discovered that it worked when given the expire time parameter (ex. M0 S120). I made a modified version of the Pause at Height script that allows you to specify the expire time and thought I'd share it in case anyone else was experiencing the same issue.

PauseAtHeight2.zip

• Like 1

Another issue that I'm running into is a blob on the print after resuming from a pause. I think I have diagnosed the issue. Here is a sample of g-code from a print with the pause-blob:

Just before the pause:

G1 F1800 X94.951 Y119.841 E334.40799
G1 F3000 E327.90799
;MESH:NONMESH
G0 F300 X94.951 Y119.841 Z0.8
G0 F9000 X98.742 Y100.597
;TIME_ELAPSED:425.699921
;TYPE:CUSTOM
;added code by post processing
;script: PauseAtHeight.py
;current layer: 3
M83 ; switch to relative E values for any needed retraction

Note that the two G1 lines indicate a retraction of 6.5mm, which is what I have set as my retraction distance in the slicer settings.

Here's the very end of the pause:

M82 ; switch back to absolute E values
G92 E327.90799
;LAYER:3
M117 Layer 3 of 5 CE3PRO_mgschip_test
M106 S153
;TYPE:WALL-INNER
;MESH:mgschip_test.stl
G1 F3000 E334.40799`

The G92 line is using the retracted value. The printer does not realize this and does an extrude right onto the print.

Perhaps there is a way the script could compare the two most recent absolute E positions and use the larger of the two?

I have the 1.1.5 board in my E3Pro with Marlin 1.1.8 and the "M0" works (the board is about 9 months old).  I have heard of this problem with the newer ones.  Sounds like a good fix.

I use PauseAtHeight a lot for color changes.  No retraction and no extrude have worked the best for me.  I just shove the new filament in until the color changes, grab the booger with long nose tweezers, and hold it steady while I hit the button.  The best thing is to have the re-start within support or infill but you don't always get a choice.  I've had good success though with my "snatch-grab-hitthebuttonreallyfast" method.