mulder999

Posted · Bug: Mixed Y/Z scaling after rotation

Affects Cura 4.7.1 under W64.

Method A to reproduce:

- Reset all model transformations

- Rotate a part 90° around X

- Disable uniform scaling

- Change Y % to 105%

- (Wrong) Z also change to 105% and further increase by 105% each time it receive focus

Method B to reproduce:

- Reset all model transformations

- Rotate a part 90° around X

- Disable uniform scaling

- Double Y mm value

- (Wrong) Z % increases to 200% (it should be Y % at 200%)

BugCura.JPG

I think it's a glitch too.  Your problem with the Z scaling is because you rotated around the X.  If you rotate around the Y, and then make your transformations, then the problem moves to the X axis.  Kind of bizarre to say the least.  

The workaround is to make the transformations BEFORE rotating the model.  I haven't had any trouble doing it that way.

I took the liberty of adding this to Github as a bug report.

What I'm seeing is that after you rotate the model about the X and then scale the model to 105% about the Y, the Z does indeed also say 105% - but the model doesn't reflect that (I used 150% to make changes easier to see).  De-selecting and then re-selecting the model leaves Z scale at 105 and the Y scale is at 100, but the model still looks correct.

When you rotate the model first, and then non-uniformly scale the model then depending on which axis you rotated about, a different axis will appear to be affected as well.  Rotating about the Z and scaling in the Y will result in the X seeming to be effected.  The model still looks correct to this point.  Trying to straighten out the numbers in the dialog box results in a mess and at that point the model transformation cannot be reset.  The plate has to be cleared and the model re-loaded.

Rotating as the last step in transformations appears to solve the problem.  When de-selecting the Uniform Scaling option, if a pop-up appeared and explained that rotation should be done last then that would have been helpful.