Question on print bed size settings

CJeschke

Posted · Question on print bed size settings

Greetings all,

I have an Ender 3 that I just upgraded to 300mm x 300mm with an ender xtender kit.  I went into machine settings and I adjusted the X and Y size settings to reflect the new size, but when I go to use Cura (4.7 ATM), it gives me 2 areas in which I cannot put any objects into without it saying that the object will not fit (see attached pic).  Is there a setting that I have missed, or will I need to create a new profile using a Custom FFF printer.

Thank you for your help

20201203_134759.jpg

Posted · Question on print bed size settings

I think this is what you need to do.

Cura uses two machine definition files.  They should be in a folder that looks a lot like this:

C:\Program Files\Ultimaker Cura 4.6\resources\definitions\

One file is "creality_base.def.json" and the second is "creality_ender3.def.json"

They are text files and will open in Notepad.  Within the Ender 3 definition file there might be an area like this (the numbers shown are for my E3Pro):

Within the section  "overrides" find...

"machine_disallowed_areas": {
                "default_value": [
                  [[-117.5, 117.5], [-117.5, 108], [117.5, 108], [117.5, 117.5]],
                  [[-117.5, -108], [-117.5, -117.5], [117.5, -117.5], [117.5, -108]]

If it looked like the one below you would have a 10mm border around the 300mm build plate.  Don't quote me on that.  All I know about Python is that "if there are spaces, there are supposed to be spaces".

[[-150, 150], [-150, 140], [150, 140], [150, 150]],
                   [[-150, -140], [-150, -150], [150, -150], [150, -140]]

Be careful and remember, if your printer blows up it wasn't my fault.  Make a backup copy of the file before you start changing anything.  When you restart Cura it should read the new numbers from the file.  I think.  Maybe.