Noob problem - installing skeinpypy + marlin

ppope357

Posted · Noob problem - installing skeinpypy + marlin

Hi

I am a bit of a novice when it comes to linux, and want to install skeinpypy, and also marlin. But I don't know how - can anyone help? I've downloaded and extracted the linuxskeinPyPynewUi-beta4 file, but I don't know what to do from there - and the wikis all assume you know how to install it. can anyone help?

I also want to get marlin running on my machine, and some very basic instructions for a novice would be much appreciated.

many thanks

Well, the linux version assumes some linux knowledge. I hope you know how to open a command prompt window?

If you run ubuntu, the following steps should work:

cd [Directory_with_linux-skeinPyPy-newui-beta4.tar.gz]tar -xvzf linux-skeinPyPy-newui-beta4.tar.gzsudo apt-get install python python-serial python-wxgtk2.8 python-openglcd linux-skeinPyPy-newui-beta4./skeinpypy.sh./pronterface.sh

The last 2 commands start skeinpypy or pronterface.

I'm now unable to get Printer interface to connect to the printer. I press the connect button, with the port /dev/ttyACM0, and get a Connecting... message - but it doesn't actually connect. So I'm unable to run the skeinpypy wizard filament test. any suggestions?

many thanks

I think the Ultimaker is /dev/ttyUSB0 under linux. So it shouldn't be trying to connect to ACM0. But I never printed from Linux myself. A hidden problem in the Beta4 (I solved it later) is that the wizard always uses serial port auto detect, even if you configure a serial port in the preferences.

You could just skip the calibration, the default is quite good for most machines. You can always re-run the wizard later from the "Advanced" menu.

I think the Ultimaker is /dev/ttyUSB0 under linux. So it shouldn't be trying to connect to ACM0. But I never printed from Linux myself. A hidden problem in the Beta4 (I solved it later) is that the wizard always uses serial port auto detect, even if you configure a serial port in the preferences.

You could just skip the calibration, the default is quite good for most machines. You can always re-run the wizard later from the "Advanced" menu.

Its ACM, I am sure about it. Running linux myself. Didnt tried skeinpypy, but I do know that you need the right firmware before it works.

I updated the firmware to marlin in the skeinpypy wizard, then got to the "check filament" stage and stopped. so presumably the firmware is now marlin (and it won't connect to repg anymore, which i think confirms this?). So what do I do now? sorry for my lack of knowledge :) I guess I need to try and manually find the port the ultimaker is connected to, but I'm lost as to how to do this. And if I try to print without a connection to the print interface, i'm guessing that will not work, or cause damage to the extruder due to lack of temperature?

also just checked repg, which although it doesn't connect still has the last connection settings saved - which were to dev/ttyACM0

Now when I press the connect button I get

JV

but the printer is still listed as offline

Like I said before:

1. Update your firmware first. Should use Marlin V1 for skeinpypy, or Marlin build 3 for repG.

For repG:

Go to Machine

Upload new Firmware

Select Ultimaker PCB v1.5.4

Select Marlin Build 3

Upload firmware

Restart the machine (disconnect everything and reconnect it).

2. Reconnect using the Marlin settings (which can be found in Machine, Machine Driver)

3. Connect.

It should connect with repG. SkeinPyPy uses another kind of marlin which has other baud rates, they can cause conflicts and problems when trying to connect to repG.

For your info:

Wiki

Thanks for your patience. After a bit of faffing I managed to use repg to update the firmware, then reconnect using the sprinter settings (no option for marlin in my dropdown box). It now seems to be working. Unsure of the problem with pronterface not connecting, whether this is a problem with my settings or in the software itself. will stick with repg for now - would be interested to find out if anyone else has had similar problems with pronterface.

thanks again for your help.