When using Surface Mode, can I make each layer start at the closest point to the current print head location?

TheRooster13

Posted (edited) · When using Surface Mode, can I make each layer start at the closest point to the current print head location?

I just discovered Surface Mode and am loving it for the great things I can print now with a single non-closed extrusion, but I'm having a little bit of issues at the end of the extrusions. It would help the print quality as well as a little bit of speed if I could alternate which end of the extrusion the print head starts from. Basically I want the print head to go to the nearest point once it finishes the previous layer, which will almost always be straight up. It wouldn't even need to retract.

I've tried a few different things, but I can't seem to find a setting, or combination of settings to get the result I want. Does anyone know if it's possible?

I'm looking into this further and for some reason the print head travels back to the starting location at the end of the layer. So the new layer is probably starting at the closest location, but that location is following a seemingly unneeded travel. It seems like the Layer Start X and Layer Start Y settings are causing the print head to jump back to the nearest point on the model to the specified X&Y location. Is there any way to get those settings removed or ignored?

This image shows the print head after traveling back to the starting location after printing the layer.

image.thumb.png.9e57762e3827279820105ece91baf292.png

Edited by TheRooster13