UM S5 Feature request

DLrocket89

Posted · UM S5 Feature request

Hi everyone,

See my other thread here that has me complaining about other things.  I also have a couple of comments, mostly firmware related.

First, I'm pretty impressed with the automation on the UM S5 Pro Bundle.  It's the first time I've had a fully "automated" printer work (looking at you BCN3D and your trainwreck of a Sigmax).  It only works well with Ultimaker materials though, the automation kinda flops with 3rd party materials.  Unfortunately, I'm sitting on about 50 kg of non-UM materials, so I need this to work...and it is advertised as working with 3rd party materials.

Thoughts:

1) Are material profiles on both the printer and the sliced file necessary?  I downloaded the profiles I needed, made a couple more, then told Cura to synch material profiles.  Did that over a USB key.  Now the material profiles on the printer have all of the options greyed out, you have to go to a folder at the bottom called "generic", where there are duplicate profiles of everything and those actually work.  Not a big deal, but if you want to automate it, it needs to be done "right" I guess.  I've had people stop by to look at our $10k investment look at me weirdly because of stuff like this.

2) Where are the manual controls for moving the printer head, extruding filament, etc?  Sometimes a guy just wants to purge a meter worth of material and make observations about what's happening.  Why remove the ability to do this?  Our S3 has it...

3) When doing the initial touchoff, it heats up both extruders (so now they're drooling a bit), touches one which leaves a glob of crap on the printer bed, and then proceeds to touch the second nozzle down in the same spot, so now they're both covered in snot, and it hasn't even started printing.  Maybe have them touch down 5mm apart?  How much is the bed leveling going to change in 5mm?

4) When you tell the printer to do the cleaning the nozzle routine (see #2 above), it runs the head into the front right corner, which is basically the most inaccessible location on the thing for someone like me with sausage fingers.  How about centered left/right, and 25mm back from the front edge? 

5) I haven't had a non-Ultimaker material profile end a print correctly yet.  Sometimes it hovers there with the nozzle above the print with everything hot, sometimes it errors out, sometimes the whole printer locks and a power cycle is all that fixes it.  All I did was take a Generic Tough PLA profile and bump up the print temperature...that's it.  What blows my mind is that it finds a new way to fail every time I use the same profile.

Don't know if anyone from Ultimaker watches this board, but please fix these.  In particular being able to take a small semblance of manual control.

Thanks!

Dustin

• Like 1