The Effect of Hearing Aids on 3D Printing

GregValiant

Posted · The Effect of Hearing Aids on 3D Printing

Next to my right foot was an electric motor somewhat larger than an automotive starter motor.  On the other side of the front fascia of the truck but directly connected to the front of the motor shaft was a 12" diameter Federal Siren.

Directly over my head was an air horn.  It wasn't good enough for me so I found a second "robust" air horn and added it.

Over on the boss's side was a very large bell.  Fortunately, it was mounted outside on the bumper.  My boss loved that friggin' bell.

I would drive through the streets of Detroit in this lime green and white 1974 Seagrave 100' aerial ladder truck with the siren screaming and the air horns (both) blaring and my boss yanking on the rope and clanging the bell.  I would do that an average of 8 times a day, 4 days a week, for 12 years.

When I was younger I enjoyed rock concerts.

Now we jump forward from "young man" to "old man".

When I first started printing on the Ender I had thought it was kind of loud so I went and replaced all the cheap fans with good quality ball bearing fans.  The new fans made a huge difference in the noise level.

About 2 weeks ago I finally broke down and purchased hearing aids.  Now with the hearing aids in - I can finally appreciate what my wife has been complaining about for the last two years.  DAMN THIS THING IS LOUD.  AM I SHOUTING....YES....BECAUSE I HAVE TOO IN ORDER TO BE HEARD OVER THE DAMN PRINTER!

A "Sound Abatement" enclosure is in order.  Putting a sound abatement enclosure around the printer because the noise bothers me means that;  now, with my much improved hearing, I will never hear the end of "I told you it needed that two years ago!".