Cura on Linux ( Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

marcething

Posted · Cura on Linux ( Ubuntu 12.04 LTS)

Hi,

I'm a Ubuntu user I'm looking for a Cura version for Ubuntu Linux.

I've found in the "unstable/testing and older downloads" some Linux versions, and downloaded version Cura-13.12-debian.deb of 23 december.

Unfortunately the slicing part doesn't work, so , off course the printing part doesn't work either.

Any idea when the support for Linux comes back or where to start looking for fixing version 13.12?

Many thanks in advance

Marc

In fact, the package is broken. It happens regularly with Linux because the author better implements features than packages (which is a good thing!) ;)

I fixed the last issues by installing the *deb like you did, and then compiled the source code of the slicer (downloaded from github). Then I overwrote the existing slicer executabl (was either absent or made for 64 bits).

I just wrote step-by-step instructions it in my blog if you need: http://www.tridimake.com/2014/01/fixing-cura-broken-linux-packages.html

OK, Slicing works.

It also made version 14.01 which is great

But now Printing still doesn't work.

Any sugestions on that, by any chance :???::

Well, I am always printing from the SD card, so I did not check. You probably can start Cura in a terminal and check what it tells you.

I think there were issues with Linux + Python and 250K bauds speeds (a near but non-standard speed b/c of the limitations of the Arduino that powers the printer). A year ago it had to be 115.2 and I think Marlin had to be re-compiled appropriately(!). I cannot state about it right now, I would hope the bug is fixed by the time!

Hello Jeremie,

I did something wrong .

Could you please you please explain the make part

I downloaded the zip from https://github.com/Ultimaker/CuraEngine as CuraEngine-master.zip and unpacked it.

Then I lost you.

I need to cd to CuraEngine-master and then ....i'm lost; no idea what to do next.

Can you help out again please :oops: