Skeinpypy: Fan off for first layer?

destroyer2012

Posted · Skeinpypy: Fan off for first layer?

Using Skeinpypy beta 4

Maybe I'm just thick but i can't find the setting for turning off the fan on the first layer/ turning its speed down for the rest of the build. I've had to go in by hand and do it but that's supremely annoying.

Alternatively, is it possible to automatically post-process the gcode with another script like you can with slic3r? Where does the spreadsheet of skeinforge options get hidden? Couldn't find that either.

The fan is turned on in the start code. Other then that SkeinPyPy doesn't touch the fan at all.

If you want to know how the SF settings are hidden, check the file "fabmetheus_utilities/settings.py" this file is normally used by SF for setting initalization, and I replaced it for SkeinPyPy to load my settings instead of the idiocy of storing settings that SF uses by default. Cura won't give you access to every possible setting. But that is intentional.

Any btw, I am interested, why is that fan behavior useful?

The fan is turned on in the start code. Other then that SkeinPyPy doesn't touch the fan at all. Any btw, I am interested, why is that fan behavior useful?

It helps to make the first 3 layers stick better to the substrate. it also prevents some shrinking/lifting off due to slower cooling of the print.

The fan is turned on in the start code. Other then that SkeinPyPy doesn't touch the fan at all.

I disagree. Here is a screenshot

YqeOy.png

On the right is a view from skeinpypy, on the left is the gcode generated. You know it actually seems like it is using the wrong start.gcode entirely... but my Z0.35 is set properly... This is makes little sense..

EDIT:

Oh and as for the purpose.. I cannot get my first layer to stick if i have the fan on. Now what I do is turn the fan on manually after the first layer, but it would be nice for skeinpypy to do it automatically. Also, I know that Cura is supposed to make the settings easy, but why not allow someone to change ALL the complex settings in the "expert" tab? I can think of no reason not to do that, and it would be more convenient. This would allow people to access the raft settings, first layer temperature, etc.

You are right, the fan is not turned on in the start code. My mistake. Fixed it in the development version, the M105 and M106 are no longer exported, and the M106 is in the default start.gcode.

Skeinforge strips out empty lines and lines with only comments from the start/end code. This is why your start.gcode doesn't seem to match the beginning of the file.

Are you printing with PLA or ABS? Because I've never noticed this problem with PLA. I don't have ABS (I also don't want it, but I do want good support for it in Cura)

Also, I know that Cura is supposed to make the settings easy, but why not allow someone to change ALL the complex settings in the "expert" tab?
    Because if you want Skeinforge, then use Skeinforge. Or use SkeinPyPy Alpha, which gives you access to all the settings, changed a few settings to make it easier (no more width over thickness) and also goes faster because of PyPy.

Also, there is no setting in SF that does exactly what you want. BUT. Cura can help you. The development version allows you to edit the "replace.csv". If you stick an ";LAYER:1[tab];LAYER:1[tab]M106" (use the tab key for the [tab]) and it will insert an M106 at the beginning of the 2nd layer (layer numbers start at 0). The layer comments are also something new from the development version.

Thanks for all the responses by the way. This helped a lot. I just changed the option to have fan always on to false in that settings.py file.

Are you printing with PLA or ABS? Because I've never noticed this problem with PLA. I don't have ABS (I also don't want it, but I do want good support for it in Cura)

I'm printing with PLA. IT is possible that I have my extrusion temp too low, but I am trying to make it as low as possible so as to minimize leakage and stringing. And if I need to increase the temperature just to get over having a fan on for the first layer that seems like a waste of energy. I'll let you know when I get my HBP working and start (ulti)makin' stuff out of ABS.

Because if you want Skeinforge, then use Skeinforge.

What I want is to be able to configure the slicer to my machine, while still retaining the ease of use afforded by your simple calibration. With the wide variety in fan systems, some people would want their fan on at the beginning and others wouldn't. Some people want the fan PWM set higher or lower because their fans are more/less powerful. Besides, you don't know the best settings for _every_ machine; providing suggested settings but allowing tweaking of everything by those who have strange setups/ more knowhow makes your software more usable by more people. Unless you only ever want ultimaker-users to use Cura. Then forget everything I said.

Unless you only ever want ultimaker-users to use Cura. Then forget everything I said.

My aim is Ultimaker users. My aim is also the "casual" users, not the power users. However, I do want to give the ability to for people to do what they want.

I'm looking at SF and I see a lot of settings that you never want to tweak. (why would you want to turn flowrate off?) But there are settings people want to tweak. By starting without exposing as little settings as possible I get feedback about what people want to tweak. The amount of expert settings already doubled in the betas. I'm also "reordering" the settings into more logical groups (I hope) instead in whatever step of the slicing they are used.

But, like I said, I no longer have any fan control enabled by default. And you can tweak it now in the development version. Want the PWM at 50%? Now you can, in the start code. Or with my mentioned replacement trick. (I find it a bit offensive of you that you act if I'm not listing to you, while I just committed changes to Cura to help your exact problem)

I also see a bunch of settings which are intended to prevent/reduce stringing. (retraction, dwindle and hop). I might throw those in a seperate tab so people can experiment with them.

(I find it a bit offensive of you that you act if I'm not listing to you, while I just committed changes to Cura to help your exact problem)

Sorry I didn't mean to be offensive.. I guess I'm just a bit impatient. Keep up the great work!