Cannot drag and drop .stl files into cura from chromebook

H3RKIMER

Posted · Cannot drag and drop .stl files into cura from chromebook

Please be patient with me, I'm a total newbie. So I'm trying to slice .stl files from thingiverse in cura which were downloaded to my chromebook. Whenever I try to open a file inside cura, it does not recognize any file types. Then when I try to drag and drop a file into cura, the cursor/mouse pointer changes into what I believe is an alias symbol (looks like a couple of links of chain linked together) and the file reverts back to it's original location. But nothing shows in cura. Is there something simple I am missing? When I try to look it up online, everyone just glosses over that piece. Like, "then just open your file in cura and go from there...) or " just drag and drop your file into cura and Presto!!" None of this seems to be working for me. I'm thinking there's some type of disconnect between cura and chrome os? any help much appreciated. 

Posted · Cannot drag and drop .stl files into cura from chromebook

Hello!

I was searching online today for an answer to this issue as i encountered the exact same problem. After i loaded Linux and Cura onto my Chromebook, i was unable to bring any stl files into Cura for slicing. After hours of searching online and coming up empty handed, i decided to start messing with the files and basically just clicking on stuff and pushing buttons. What i found was so easy, it left me dumbfounded for a few minutes after i figured it out. I remembered seeing your post here during my searching and thought that i'd try my best to answer it for you.  

When you download a file from a source such as Thingiverse, or you export a file to stl from a program like TinkerCAD, you can find those files on your Chromebook in the "Downloads" file under "My files". But since your Cura program isn't running on the Chrome OS, and rather in the Linux OS, the Cura program won't recognize those files even existing. If you left click and hold on the stl file, you can drag it into the "Linux Files" under "My Files". Then click on the "Linux Files" icon and you should see your stl file along with the Cura .AppImage. Open Cura and click on the file folder icon near the top left. A new window should open and on the left you should see "Look in:". Under that you should see "Computer" and under that should be a file named your Linux username. Click that and in the window to the right you should see your stl files listed. Click on your desired stl file and it should automatically load onto the build platform.

I really hope this helps! Good luck!

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
    Posted (edited) · Cannot drag and drop .stl files into cura from chromebook

Ok so i put the file in linux folder but the problem is whenever i click on the file button on the upper left corner nothing happens is there a way to fix this?

Edited by jabober69