Ultimaker Community of 3D Printing Experts

Flow rate in Cura not adjusting as much as it should

DLrocket89

Posted (edited) · Flow rate in Cura not adjusting as much as it should

Hi all,

I have a CR-10 at home that I slice with S3D.  I just discovered this nifty widget: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1622868   I used it to fix some over extrusion issues I had on my CR-10 printing PETG+CF...turns out I needed a multiplier of 0.85 for it to work right, and now the parts I'm printing actually fit together properly, lol.  (someone else reported the same multiplier, so I think that's just a "feature" of that filament).

At work we have a bunch of Ultimakers, with the premium machine being an S5 w/ material station.  I decided to try the same test, so I did what I did at home and lined up a bunch of these test pieces as such:

559922774_Curacapture.thumb.PNG.389ec877463ce12b2c11d79891a8295c.PNG

I did the "adjust parameters by model" thing.  The two on the left got a Flow of 1.05, next two were 1.025, next two 1.00, next two 0.975, last two 0.95.  At home, with an unfilled material, this would create a dramatic difference.  Here...not so much.  None of them fit together, which indicates that the 0.95 is over extruding (and I have a hard time thinking that the stock profile is off by that much).  I weighed them and the difference from left to right is only about 50-60% of what it should be just scaling it out...so it seems to me like changing "flow" isn't having as big of an effect as I think it is.

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

Other settings - 0.4 nozzle, 0.2 layer, stock temps and whatnot for the UM Tough PLA material, 3 solid walls on all sides and 35% infill. (EDIT: Cura 4.11, latest stable firmware as of a week ago)

Thanks!

Dustin

Edited by DLrocket89

Posted · Flow rate in Cura not adjusting as much as it should

Did that test above and in our UM5, with stock AA-04 core with UM Tough PLA, the "best" setting is about 87%...  that's kinda crazy how far off that is.  UM PVA support was best at 80%.  Again, that feels like a huge amount.